Allow Public Items

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

jwarnockhpam

Allow Public Items

Post by jwarnockhpam » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:38 pm

How do you modify/create Public Groups? None of my groups show up in the Modify Project Dialog where you can choose them to be Public or public/private.

Sorry, I'm not quite understand how Public Items work from a security perspective.

Thanks,
JMW

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:04 am

Within Fortress there are two types of groups "Global" and "Project" groups. Only Project Groups can be made to view Public items.

So first, you need to edit from the Admin Tab, the project name, and Enable Public Items. From there you should see a list of Project level Groups. You can control the access level from there.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

jclausius

Re: Allow Public Items

Post by jclausius » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:06 am

jwarnockhpam wrote:Sorry, I'm not quite understand how Public Items work from a security perspective.
Public Items allow two kinds of views into a project's work items.

If a user is in a private group they can see *ALL* items found within a project. If a user is in a public group, they can *ONLY* see *PUBLIC* items from within the project. To those users, any private items will not be seen.

This is used in cases where a customer needs to have access to the work items. Not all of the work items within the project may be suitable for the customer, so those items are marked private. From the customer's point of view, they can only view the public items.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear