Branching + recursive

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Muzza

Branching + recursive

Post by Muzza » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:22 pm

I am using v4.2 - both server and client + VB6 (I know - our older but still in production projects)

We have a suite of applications that share common classes and modules so these are sharable between the applications. Using branching for the first time, I created a branch at the main project level and made it recursive. It seemed to add 1 to all the version numbers, and all the files, so that seemed good. However, it is only possible to view the VB files using notepad and through SOS. Viewing these files just through Notepad from Windows Explorer makes me feel as if they are encrypted in some way. When VB tries to open these files, through SOS, I get an error message stating Path not Found as if looking for all the project files in the Temp directory - the working folder is correct. I also get the prompt to add this project to SOS? when I created it through SOS to begin with.

I think I may have an issue if I get this working in that I have ActiveX ocxes which I want branched but Windows is not going to be able to distinguish between the original and branched as being distinct ActiveXes. Is there a work around that?

Thanks

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:51 am

I think there may be some confusion. I think what would work better for you is to do a Share - Branch. First you share the file, then you branch it off. Then you rebind your project to the location of the Share/Branch. Give that a try and see if it works better for you.

I'm thinking your project is just not bound properly to the branch, and by doing a Share - Branch, you can better see that you are getting bound properly.