SOS migration

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

harish73

SOS migration

Post by harish73 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:09 am

Hello,

I'm planning to migrate my SOS (classic 3.5.3 server) from win2k server to another win2k server. Am not sure what steps should i follow to complete this migration without any issue.

Could someone tell me -
1. steps to migrate SOS from one win2k to another.
2. how the SOS keys will be migrated.
3. How the entire setting in SOS be migrated.

Thanks,
hk

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:17 pm

Will you be moving your VSS database as well?

harish73

Post by harish73 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:26 pm

Yes.

How can i do it. Is there any utility to migrate the VSS setting to new server.

Beth

Post by Beth » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:36 pm

Microsoft should have help for moving the VSS database portion. Here's one of their articles on it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/176909.

With SOS, you can just uninstall it from where it's at and reinstall it to a new location. Then go into the SOS Server Manager and add in your VSS database again.

After moving your SOS server, your clients may wish to clear their Client Side Cacheand allow SOS to rebuild that with fresh information.

harish73

Post by harish73 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:59 am

Thanks Beth.

I do not want the entire Databases to move instead i want few (5-6) databases to move from one to another server.
Hence, uninstalling will not work. I have to keep the old SOS server and want to migrate few databases to new SOS server.

I think i will first install the SOS on new server and then add the databases to it.

I'm worried about the licenses, how the SOS licenses(users key) and SOS users will be migrated.

Thanks.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:41 pm

For the VSS portion:
If you are moving the VSS databases/projects, you could also set up your VSS first and archive from the old and restore to the new.

For SOS:
This will depend on what your goal is. One SOS server can access and use all the VSS databases if they are in the same network. The VSS databases can be on different machines.

If you still want a second SOS server, then licensing is per user per server. If one user needs access to both, they will need a license in each. If only some users need one and the other users need another, then you can split up your licenses. Sales will be able to help you with that, and they can be reach at sgstore at sourcegear.com.