Single User at different Locations

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Perni

Single User at different Locations

Post by Perni » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:06 am

Hi,
Currently I'm trying the 30 days Demo SOS. This includes 10 User-Licenses.

I'm going to use SOS as single User, but on different Locations. Therefore I've created two Users for me: PPHome and PPMobile.

If a file is checked out at Home (with User PPHome), this file must not be editable in the Office (other Location by PPMobile).

How can I do this with one User?
What's the solution for this problem (this can't be so unusally). I'm a Single Person Developer and I'm not able to buy two Licenses. :?

Please tell me, what's the Options for me. Otherwise I must try other solutions (this would be a great pity, because I like SOS very much).

Greetings from Vienna, Peter

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:48 am

If you disallow multiple checkouts, then only one account will be able to checkout the file at a time. This is a VSS setting, in the VSS Admin client, under Tools->Options.

But then, why don't you just use one account name -- if you checkout the file from MachineA, SOS will not give you the option to checkout the file from MachineB (although you can check it in or undo checkout).

Note: if you have two usernames, you will need two SOS licenses, as each unique username that logs into the SOS Server needs a license.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Perni

Post by Perni » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:51 am

Hi Linda,

Yes, I know. But my problem is the following:

1. Today I'm working at home on FileA. So I have to check it out at home and leave it checked out.
2. Tomorrow I drive to the Office (5 kilometers away), sit down to the PC and SOS would tell me, that FileA is checked out by myself in the Office (but that's not true, because it's another Location).
3. I don't take notice of that and (by mistake) I check in FileA with an old Version.
4. At Home again I get the latest Version of the whole Project and overwrite all Changes in FileA from Step 1 (the worst case: Again - I don't take notice about that).

The Sticking Point is Step 2: SOS must not tell me, that FileA is checked out in the Office, because I checked it out one Day before at home.

But it seems, that this is only possible with two Users.
Do you understand me?

Thank you anyway for your Effort.
Greetings, Peter

Perni

The Solution

Post by Perni » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:57 am

Hi Linda,

I've found a very simple Solution

At Home, I'm able to use the VSS Client, because the Server is located in my LAN (no need for use SOS). And for the Office I can buy one SOS User-License and I'm able to work with two different Users anyway.

That's so easy :P :wink:

Greetings again, Peter.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:41 pm

Yes, that's a good solution.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager