Unable to decrypt User Key

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Jevans

Unable to decrypt User Key

Post by Jevans » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:42 am

I have recently taken over administration of our development servers. Part of my job was to migrate this development environment to a new server. I have done this, however I am running into issues running Source Off Site (encryption version).

Whenever I try to connect, I get the message Unable to decrypt user key. I have the latest client installed on my machine and we are using the latest server. I have created my user account from scratch and imported the key on my client, all using the latest server.

Here is the info on the server it is being hosted on.

SourceOffSite 4.1.2 with cryptography
Visual Source Safe 2005
Visual Studio 2005
.Net Framework 2.0

Any help or troubleshooting hints will help, thanks.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:36 am

See this KB article for possible solutions:
http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?p=342
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Jevans

Post by Jevans » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:15 am

Connect to the Server using the same variables used to create the User Key. Make sure there is not an invisible trailing space after the servername.
This didn't work. I opened the key in notepad and the server was apparently set to the Database and not the actual server. I replaced this with both the server name and the IP and tried to connect to both. I get the same results, unable to decrypt user key. There appeared to be a trailing space after the user name. When I removed the space character, it could not write the key.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:50 am

Do you mean the encryption key was created using the database name, rather than the server name? I don't think editing the key will work.

Try recreating the encryption key in the User Keys tab of the SOS Server Manager. Use the proper server name -- IP address or fully qualified domain name. be sure to delete the old <username>.iky file before you do this -- it might not get overwritten when you create the new key.

Delete the <servername>.key file on the client side, and re-import the key. Connect with the server name the encryption key was created with.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Jevans

Post by Jevans » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:44 am

that did it, thanks