SEREVR CLOSED CONNECTION - BUT TELNET WORKS

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

amadonna

SEREVR CLOSED CONNECTION - BUT TELNET WORKS

Post by amadonna » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:46 am

We are commissioning our software at a customer premises and we are not able to connect to our SOS Server. Our Client PC are connected to the Customer Network and access the Internet through customer's firewall.

We have two port open: 8080 and 8081. We have performed tests with both port with Telnet.

On 8081 we are able to connect properly with Telnet while it is not possible to connect on 8080. However we are not able to connect with SOS Client on port 8081.

The error we received on the client side are (on site):

- "Server closed connection" on 8081

- "unable to connect to server" on 8080

Our Server is configured as follows:

- SOS 4.1
- W2000 SP 4
- VSS 6.0C
- ssapi.dll 6.0.96.4

Our Client are WXP with SOS 4.1

Could you provide suggestion to test SOS connection and requirement for the people managing the firewall.

Thanks,
Gianpiero Brunetti,
Alessandro Madonna

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:07 am

The first step is to look at the SOS log.txt file in the SourceOffSite server directory on the server machine. There may be configuration errors that are preventing connections.

Next, make sure your firewall is configured to allow TCP\IP traffic between server and client:
http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=37

It appears your port 8080 is blocked, since telnet does not work.

For port 8081, which is the secure port, did you create encryption (user) keys in the SOS Server manager for your users?

Documentation on encryption/user keys is in SOS Help->Server Manager->User Keys and Installation->SOS Windows Client ->Run the SOS Client->Import Encryption key.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

amadonna

Post by amadonna » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:55 am

8080 is our secure poet while 8081 is the unsecure port. I'm thinking this is the reason while telnet doesn't work when trying to use port 8080.

We have other collegues on other sites that are properly working so my concern is more oriented to the customer firewall configuration....I just doesn't know how to help my collegue, which tests to perform. I don't see anything in the Log when my collegue is using SOS client while when he uses the telnet I can find log messages.
I have already enabled Log General = 4 Verbose.

Which are the differencies between connecting using telnet and using SOS client ? Since my concern is oriented to the network devices installed at our customer premises I'm focused on protocols, port or other issues that can prevent SOS from working through a firewall.

I gave a look at the link you suggest, I will go more in detail but any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks,
Gianpiero Brunetti
Alessandro Madonna

amadonna

Post by amadonna » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:12 am

Port 8080 and 8081 are open on our customers firewall. Other collegue are connecting to our server by using both port without any problem.

The problem with our customer still exist, is there any test we can perform. Telnet is not working with the secure port that in our case is 8080.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Gianpiero Brunetti
Alessandro Madonna