Check In failed - automatic conflict merge failed

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

realware

Check In failed - automatic conflict merge failed

Post by realware » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:01 pm

We have a VSS Server in CA, and I am working in Jersey City, NJ using SOS V 4.1. NO OTHER user here in our Jersey City office is having this same problem, but it's driving me nuts! :cry:
Everytime I try to check-in a file, even if I've just checked it out one minute before and have changed only one line, I get a popup box which says "Check In failed for file: {whatever the file name is}. The server was unable to perform an automatic merge. To merge conflicts, go to Tools->Merge->Show Merge. WARNING: The next Check In operation performed on this file will overwrite the latest copy in VSS even if conflicts are not resolved".
This happens regardless of whether I have set "Handle conflicts with modified local copies when retrieving files" to "Attempt automatic merge" or "Overwrite". I went through and matched all of my settings to those being used by other users and still the behavior I get is the same.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:59 pm

See if this information applies to your situation:
This error will occur if in the version of SourceSafe located on the SourceOffSite server machine, if the "Compare Files By" dropdown box is set to "Time" and the check in time is set to "CheckIn". These options are located in the Local Files tab. When you edit a file, then go to check it back in, you will always get the report that an automatic merge failed, regardless of whether anyone else checked it out. Then, when you go to check the file in, the status doesn't update from edited, nor does your name disappear from the checked out status line.

To fix this problem, change either of the options listed above to anything else, and the problem should disappear. Please note that the version of VSS being referred to is the copy of VSS on the machine that is also hosting the SourceOffSite server, not VSS on the SOS Client machine.

Also, SourceSafe client settings are unique to each user profile, so you should log in to the VSS Client on the SOS Server with your "jpjordan" VSS account, and then with the other user account which is having the problem, and make the change in the settings for each user.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

realware

Post by realware » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:42 am

I'm not sure if the fix you suggested would have worked - I did not have access to the SOS Server machine.

Our VSS administrator succeeded in fixing my problem by adding the following to my ss.ini file:
Merge_Ignore = w-
Skip_PCheckout = No
[Custom_Merge_Editors]