Your source control plug-in caused an exception or reported

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

mvandergrift

Post by mvandergrift » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:52 am

Hello,

I am receiving the following error dialog when trying to do a recursive get through VS 2005:

"Your source control plug-in caused an exception or reported a fatal error"

The title of the dialog reads “Source Controlâ€

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:23 pm

Was this project converted from Visual Studio 2003 or was it created using VS 2005?
This only happens with one project, and only when using VS 2005 integration.
Is this the only web project that you have? Do other users receive the error message also?
On the server I have tried both VSS 2005 and Visual Soursafe 6.0d with the same result.
The same result as in it fails with the error message or it works correctly as it does with the SOS Client?
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the SOS client and removing all local files and grabbing them using the SOS client.
Have you attempted to remove all of the local files and open the project again using "Open from source control"?
Is there a log file generated by the SOS client to help me troubleshoot this issue?
You can e-mail me your LOG.TXT file located on the same machine as the SOS Server. This may direct us to the problem.

Tonya Nunn
SourceGear Support

mvandergrift

Post by mvandergrift » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:56 pm

Tonya wrote:Was this project converted from Visual Studio 2003 or was it created using VS 2005?

The project was converted from VS 2003, but this was months ago. All recent work has been in VS 2005. All dependencies in the project are .NET 2.0.
This only happens with one project, and only when using VS 2005 integration.
Is this the only web project that you have? Do other users receive the error message also?
I am the only developer working on this that is not using VSS.
Tonya wrote:
On the server I have tried both VSS 2005 and Visual Soursafe 6.0d with the same result.
The same result as in it fails with the error message or it works correctly as it does with the SOS Client? My understanding is that this is an issue with Microsoft's newly implemented projectl file-ess web project model.
It works correctly with the SOS Client.
Tonya wrote:
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the SOS client and removing all local files and grabbing them using the SOS client.
Have you attempted to remove all of the local files and open the project again using "Open from source control"?
I removed all of the local files, but could not use "Open from source control" because I receive the VS 2005 error "There are no solution or project files in this location. Please select a different location.". I have never been able to add a VS 2005 web site from source control on any workstation. I always need to use the client (either SOS or VSS).
Tonya wrote:
Is there a log file generated by the SOS client to help me troubleshoot this issue?
You can e-mail me your LOG.TXT file located on the same machine as the SOS Server. This may direct us to the problem.
Thanks, I appreciate the help. I will email this immediately.

TimDaniels

Your source control plug-in caused an exception

Post by TimDaniels » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:20 pm

Hello,
I know this topic may be stale, but I am getting this exact problem almost all the time. Using VS.2005 and "Open from Source Control" nearly always results in the "Your Source Control plug-in caused an Exception..." message.

If you have resolved this issue, please post an update.

These solutions/projects are new in VS.2005, not converted from VS.2003. It does not make any difference whether they are Web projects or not.

Thanks
Tim

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:38 am

Hello Tim,

What version of SOS are you using?

This issue has still not been reproduced. Could you send me your SOS Server log file?

Thanks,

Tonya
Tonya@SourceGear.com

dqbhere

Also seeing this behavior.

Post by dqbhere » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:41 am

I've gotten to a point where this is also becoming frustrating for me. Get Latest command on a directory causes the whole project to lose source control. I'm using version 4.1.2 and it still happens.

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:41 am

Exactly what happens when you perform Get Latest on a directory? Do you receive an error message? You stated that the project loses source control, do you have to add it back or does source code control functionality appear again after you close and reopen the project?

What version of VSS do you have installed on the Client machine and the Server? Are you the only one with the issues or do other SOS users have the problem also?

Does it appear to be related to a particular directory or does the problem exist on all directories?

Thanks,

Tonya Nunn
SourceGear Support

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:48 pm

We have been able to reproduce this error message and I have logged this in our bug database as a "high" priority. The problem only exists when using web projects and placing them in a different directory other then the default "website" directory that VS 2005 creates.

Hopefully we will have a resolution soon.

Tonya

TimDaniels

Post by TimDaniels » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:32 pm

Tonya,
Are you able to speculate about when you might have a fix for this problem? It continues to be very frustrating.

Is there any priority higher than "HIGH" in your bug database ?

This problem is not constrained to Web projects. I also see similar symptoms when using a project template of Business Intelligence Projects/Integration Services Project. I am not sure that there is an equivalent default "website" directory for these project types as there is for Web projects. In other words - I don't have a good workaround.

Thanks
Tim

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:59 pm

Tim,

I don't have an exact date yet as to when this problem will be resolved. I will let you know as soon as I hear anything definite.

I will check into the Business Intelligence Projects issue but I am going to need some more information because I am very unfamiliar with these types of projects. Can you give me detailed steps? You can e-mail them to me if you'd like.

Thanks,

Tonya

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:15 pm

We will have a special "hotfix" release to solve this issue soon. I don't have a definite date yet but I will post some notes when the build is available.

Tonya

dmd1214

Post by dmd1214 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:46 am

Hello, has this issue been resolved yet? I'm receiving this error on a recursive get on my web project. All other projects, class libraries and windows applications, work ok.

sos - 4.1.2 - evaluation copy
vs - 2005 (project was never 2003)
log.txt - no errors today, just "Connection accepted" messages

FYI, I have received this error in the past on other projects when my working folder did not match the local path. This is not the case this time.

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:09 am

Yes, we do have a resolution.

My e-mail address is Tonya@SourceGear.com, if you send me an e-mail I can reply back with the appropriate fix.

Thanks,

Tonya