Help!Can't get history version with SOS client

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Taylor

Help!Can't get history version with SOS client

Post by Taylor » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:18 am

In order to reduce the size,I archived some projects from one big VSS database and restored them to a new database named newDB.Everything seems ok since I can get any history version from newDB using Visual SourceSafe Explorer.
However, I found a sticky problem at almost the same time.While using SOS client to get the history version of file,the mouse pointer changed to busy status(like a sandglass) and stopped responding.Now I can only get the latest version.What the heck shoud I do?

I tried to use Analyze tool with -f switch on newDB to fix any problems.But I still failed to get any history version from the VSS database.

Any help is appreciated.

Taylor

Taylor

Post by Taylor » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:25 am

Btw,the sos client and server version is 4.1.0 and VSS version is 6.0d

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:00 am

Was this working fine on the database prior to the archive and restore?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Taylor

Post by Taylor » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:09 pm

lbauer wrote:Was this working fine on the database prior to the archive and restore?
Yes,it's working fine on the old database while getting history version of a file.But for projects,getting by label always failed in most cases,that's why I decide to separate the big databse into small ones.
Thanks.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:07 pm

You might try running Analyze again, first with -f and then with -c parameters. Usually archiving a VSS database cleans up corruption even Analyze doesn't fix. But in this case, the automation component is still having a problem accessing VSS history.

You might also try another version of VSS, since different versions interact differently with SOS.

You could try the Microsoft Hotfix:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=1348

Or if you have an earlier release of VSS 6.0d (ssapi.dll file version ending in 98.48 ) try the VSS that comes with Visual Studio sp6
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Taylor

Post by Taylor » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:36 pm

Thanks for your help.
I tried to run analyze -c on newDB(sized 250MB) yesterday.The process took 12 hours until finished. It's so slow.After that,I am still having problem to access VSS history with any file.
More unfortunately,I'm now using the version of VSS that comes with Visual Studio 6 sp6 (ssapi.dll file version ending in 98.48 ) .
Oh,bad luck for me.