Disaster recovery - sourcesafe moved to new server

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

AndyGray

Disaster recovery - sourcesafe moved to new server

Post by AndyGray » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:37 am

Over the last few days, I've had to move our sourcesafe databases and sourceoffsite server (Classic 3.5.3) onto a new server. The sos service on the original server has been stopped and the sourcesafe shared removed.

I've amended all configuration files and sos is up & running, our offsite developers can log in & us sos. I have two remaining problems

1. Within sos client, our offsite developers see all files with a status of missing even though the working folders are set correctly and the files are there. I take it some of their local cache files will need amending to point at our new sos server?

2. Some files were checked out while the process of moving the databases has occurred and the "Check Out Folder" status within sourcesafe says [OLDSERVER]C:\Program Files\SourceOffSite\temp\.........
- How do I get sourcesafe to "know" that these files are checked out to the new server?

Thanks in advance
Andy

-

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:18 am

1. Within sos client, our offsite developers see all files with a status of missing even though the working folders are set correctly and the files are there. I take it some of their local cache files will need amending to point at our new sos server?
Does the status resolve to "blank" when you do a "get latest"?

You could delete the cache files in the SOS Client->Servers->Servername directory. If there are files in the working directory the status will be Unknown and you could either use checksums (Tools->Options->Files) or get latest to resolve the status.
2. Some files were checked out while the process of moving the databases has occurred and the "Check Out Folder" status within sourcesafe says [OLDSERVER]C:\Program Files\SourceOffSite\temp\.........
- How do I get sourcesafe to "know" that these files are checked out to the new server?
\

I don't know that you can. If this causes a problem, you might need to undo the checkouts and checkout the files again.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

AndyGray

Post by AndyGray » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:43 am

Thanks for the reply Linda

With respect to point 1, I've managed to fix this by amending the cache files on the offsite developers machine, we only have 3 offsite developers so it's not too much hardship!!

For point 2, this could be a bigger job if source-offsite & sourcesafe don't recognise it as the same checkout since there are a couple of hundred files checked out via source-offsite across multiple databases. As far as I know neither sos or ss have the facility to show a status search to a file.

Thanks again
Andy

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:46 am

Yes, both SourceSafe and SOS support search for checked out files.

In SOS 3.x, the feature is in the GUI Client under View-> Search. In SOS 4.1 it's under Tools->Status Search.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager