Russian comments

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

alw

Russian comments

Post by alw » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:36 am

SourceOffSite 4.1, windows 2003 server, vss 6.0d.
When i try to add comment for files in russian (cp1251), i got a wrong encoding, when displaying comments.
On demo server (http://www.sourcegear.com/sos/demo.html) all ok, russian comments displayed fine. What's wrong?
sorry for my terrible english :)

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:40 am

You may not be using an English-Language version of the Visual SourceSafe Client. SOS works best with the English version of the VSS automation component (provided by the VSS Client) which it uses to communicate with the VSS database.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

uvm

Post by uvm » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:36 am

Hi!
I have an English version of VSS and have such problems with russian comments. Note: VSS Explorer works correctly with russian comments on that PC.

Best regards, Vitaly

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:54 am

Verify that the English version of VSS is installed on the SOS Server machine (rather than on the client machine).

Non-English characters seem to works fine on our demo server, so it could be a combination of the language version of the operating system and VSS.

We've had reports of Chinese characters working on our demo server, but not on machines with the Chinese version of Windows for the OS, for instance.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Xentrax

Post by Xentrax » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:34 am

I tried to enter russian comments too and I got "operation failed".

As server (just upgraded to 4.1) is in USA and nobody there speak russian i'm sure everything installed on the server have english version. I think they have VSS6.0c.

I tested it on my local machine with english XP and english VSS (6.0d) and SoS Server 4.1 and I got the same error.
The next line is written to SoS log:
25.08.2005 10:19:26 - 1: Invalid access code (bad parameter). (80070459)
And VSS 6.0d works with russian comments with my local database.

I use SoS Client 4.1 and I have russian locale for non-Unicode programs in WinXP's Regional settings.

On the other hand we do not use russian, chinese or hindi in comments :)

bfinney

Post by bfinney » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:45 pm

Xentrax:

Could you try to add a comment on our test server (sos.sourceoffsite.com)? It's been able to handle non-Western filenames in the past, but we've never heavily tested it.

That machine is a W2K server with version 6.0.306130 of ssapi.dll installed (this is one of the 6.0d versions), with the locale set to U.S. English and Western Europe and United States as the input language. It does have every available code page conversion table, though I doubt that's relevant.
Brody Finney
SourceGear QA Thug
"I break things for a living"