Error extracting source on Linux

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

tede

Error extracting source on Linux

Post by tede » Fri May 20, 2005 3:04 am

Hi,

We're experiencing a problem extracting source from a Sourcesafe database via SourceOffSite on a linux box.

The error we're seeing on the client is
"Net error during attempt to read headers. (RH1). Error: 0 Success"m

whilst in the server log we're getting
"206: Exception during Login while checking ProjectRightsEnabled: Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

This is occurring approx 50% of the time, even when network activity is quiet at night. The client and the server are on the same internal LAN.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,
Ed

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri May 20, 2005 2:27 pm

What version of SOS are you using?

Are project rights enabled in the VSS Admin Tool for that database?

Does the user have rights to the project they're trying to access?

At what point do you see the error message on the client side?

What version of VSS is installed on the SOS Server machine. (I'd like to know the version of the ssapi.dll file in Win32 directory of the VSS directory.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

andrea

Post by andrea » Mon May 23, 2005 8:14 am

> What version of SOS are you using?

SOS 4.1. You might recall you sent me (andrea at clearswift) the source code on 11th May. It built OK - except I had to download and build a couple of apache dependencies listed in another thread.

> Are project rights enabled in the VSS Admin Tool for that database?

Yes I guess so - otherwise I'd expect a permanent error. This error only happens occasionally.

> Does the user have rights to the project they're trying to access?

Yes.

> At what point do you see the error message on the client side?

Its a big recursive checkout, than takes a few minutes to complete. The error can occur at anytime. The bigger the checkourt the more risk of an error.

> What version of VSS is installed on the SOS Server machine. (I'd like to know the version of the ssapi.dll file in Win32 directory of the VSS directory.

The server is version 4.0.2

EXTRA INFO: something else that triggers the same client error is if I run two soscmds on the LINUX box at the same time. This doesn't explain the occurances at night however, when there is only one script running.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon May 23, 2005 9:40 am

Net error during attempt to read headers.
We've seen this error before, but haven't been able to pin down the cause. We're not sure whether this network problem affects SOS or whether SOS is causing the network problem.

Is it possible to disable project rights and see if the command line client still experiences the error?

Can you do the same long recursive get from a different client (Linux or Windows GUI or from the Windows CLC?).

Also, I still would like to know the version of VSS automation component installed on the SOS Server machine.
The server is version 4.0.2
This is looks like the SOS version. To find the VSS version, look for the Win32 directory of your VSS installation on the SOS Server machine. Then within that, look for ssapi.dll. Right click on ssapi.dll to find the version number.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

tede

Post by tede » Tue May 24, 2005 7:42 am

We've tried disabling the project rights as you suggested, and the scripts ran without errors. However we would not want to leave the project rights disabled long-term.

The same long recursive get works fine from the Windows GUI of SoS, and the normal VSS UI.

The version of the ssapi.dll on the SoS Server machine is 6.0.98.48.

If you want any more info just shout.

Cheers, Ed.

andrea

Post by andrea » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:16 am

Any news on a fix for the server 206 error?

Any requests for more evidence?

I still cannot check out some areas of source - where project rights remain in force.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:40 pm

Let's see if we can get some additional information. Enable verbose logging for the SOS Server:
http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=463

The next time you get this error, send me a copy of the log.txt file in the SOS Server directory. Let me know what username and time in the log to look for.

Email it to Linda at SourceGear.com.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:35 am

You said you have VSS version ending with 98.48 on the server machine.
Have you made the registry fix described in this KB article:
http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=10

From the log file Andrea sent, it looks like the server crashes after another user logs in.

One more question, does the same command work with the Windows CLC?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

bfinney

Possible version conflict

Post by bfinney » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:41 am

I noticed that the server version is 4.0.2 and the CLC is running 4.1. There were major changes to the CLC for 4.1, some of which required server side changes. We didn't test 4.1 CLCs against 4.0.x servers extensively at all, and found problems in the limited testing we did.

If at all possible, upgrade your sever to the latest (4.1.1), which will be free since you're already running a version 4 server. I think there's a better than even chance that this problem will just go away with a server update.
Brody Finney
SourceGear QA Thug
"I break things for a living"