Slow VPN access w/ working directories

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

ryber

Slow VPN access w/ working directories

Post by ryber » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:17 pm

Greetings,
Our development environment is in the midwest but we have Developers in europe. In our system we have a central development environment which all users access and has all of the settings needed for the applications (they are web based). In house the developers use VSS and set the working folder to the central development server. For instance my project might be at:

//devserver/users/MyProject/

now what we useually do is map //devserver/users/ to a drive letter (lets say its w:). and then set the working directory is VSS to w:\. This way when we check out the file its checked out to the same location it existed in before, we edit directly on the dev server and then check it back in.

Here is my problem. with the europeans its very very slow. if they set the working directory to their own machines SOS runs fast and if they just browse the file structure (they connect via a VPN btw if that was not obvious) its..well its not THAT slow but it is a little pokey.

They theorize that SOS is trying to synch the VSS with the working folder. there there any way to stop this or minimize it...or any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ryan Bergman
----------------------------
Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
----------------------------

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon May 02, 2005 9:21 am

SOS is designed with the assumption that the remote user has a working directory on the same machine as his/her SOS Client. If the working directory is on a network drive, SOS will be slower. I don't know that there's any way to speed that up, except to make sure there's a fast network connection and that you don't have anti-virus protection scanning every read/write to the working directory.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager