Features in Source Safe NOT in Offsite

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Features in Source Safe NOT in Offsite

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:25 am

The following features appear to be missing in Offsite but are present in source safe.

1. Do a project history with files. Click on a file at any given point. With source safe you can get the entire source code at the time that file was checked in. Source Offsite only allows one to grab the entire project at labeled moments.

2. RollBack. There are a few times when I wish to roll back a change I made. Source safe allows this. Offsite does not.

3. Saving of the check in message. Source safe at least saves the last checkin comment I put. Source Offsite requires me to type the same thing over and over again. It would be nice if SourceOffsite extended source safes feature and added a history. So I could pick from a list of previously entered comments.

4. THIS IS A BIG ONE. Often times I want to grab a fresh copy of the source code to another working folder other then the one I am working with. Source safe allows one to specify a different working folder, and over ride all working folders so that I can do this. This could be esepcially important if I wish to diff the current version with an older version or try out the latest code in a different folder.

As a user going from using source safe to source offsite I would expect to have the same functionality in source offsite.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:39 am

The SOS Server communicates with the VSS database via the SourceSafe Automation Component. Unfortunately not all SourceSafe features (like rollback) are supported by the Automation Component.

There are generally workarounds to these limitations, such as temporarily changing the working folder if you want to do a get elsewhere.

However, workarounds aren't ideal, which is exactly why we created Vault. Vault has most features that VSS has, plus many more that VSS users wish VSS had.

I know this doesn't address your immediate issue, but we are limited in some of what SOS can do due to the Automation Component.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager