Read-only files handled the same way as writeable files

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Xavier

Read-only files handled the same way as writeable files

Post by Xavier » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:02 am

Hello,

when doing a Get Latest Version with renegade/old files, a message states that file XXX.cpp may have been modified whether the file is read only or writeable.

Formerly (I may be wrong) , they were handled separetly. In fact it's a real problem when there are many files some of them writeable, some of them read-only.
Knowing that RO files are checked in, most of the time, I want them to be replaced, but I do not want writeable files to be replaced.

Is there a setup somewhere ? Am I doing something wrong ?
Would it be possible, to have two distinct messages ? An RO file is not likely to be modified...

Best regards

Xavier PICAT

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:38 pm

SOS looks at the status and timestamp of a file, not its read/write attribute when it does a get. Files with a status of OLD are an earlier version than the version in the database, so there shouldn't be any problem overwriting them. They can be readonly or writable.

A renegade file is a file whose timestamp is different from the time the file was fetched from the SOS Server AND is not checked out. It can be writeable or readonly. You may or may not want to overwrite a renegade file.

Here are some options:

If you select Get Latest with the Automerge option, SOS will try to merge the Renegade file with the version being retrieved from the database. Or you can choose to Get with the Merge Later option.

Check out files before editing them. That will avoid Renegade files. You can use the "Skip files that are checked out and modified" option in Tools->Options->Files. Then your edited files won't get overwritten.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager