SOS 4.1 w/SourceSafe 8 in VS2005

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

bdfred

SOS 4.1 w/SourceSafe 8 in VS2005

Post by bdfred » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:56 pm

Hi,

I apologize if I missed mention of this in the forum somewhere, but it appears that the SOS server may not support SourceSafe 8. This is not to say that it should - after all SSafe 8 is still beta - this was just a test. However, I was wondering if there were any plans to support SSafe 8 in the near future? Our team would really love to start using these two tools together.

I wish I had saved the error message from the SOS server log, but it was clear that SOS couldn't communicate with the SourceSafe databases using the ssapi.dll provided in version 8. A property in the automation interface wasn't being passed by SOS in the manner that version 8 was expecting.

Reverting to 6.0d on the server did resolve SOS' database communication problem, although doing so introduced new problems for developers using either SOS or SSafe 8 exclusively. That's another story. :-)

Thanks

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:43 pm

I haven't heard the next version of SourceSafe referred to as SourceSafe 8. Do you mean VSS 2005?

See this post:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=2192
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

bdfred

Post by bdfred » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:29 pm

Yeah, that's confusing. Sorry about that. I should have referred to it as VSS 2005.

If you open up the "Help/About SourceSafe" menu in the version of SourceSafe that is delivered in the beta release of Visual Studio 2005, VSS 2005 says it's version 8. I obviously had 8 on the brain that day.

I'm sure you can't release dates or schedules, but in general do you think support for this version will occur soon - like in weeks vs. months?

Thanks

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:40 pm

We're not ready to announce that yet. But it won't be weeks. :)
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager