Read-Only Flag for Files not Check Out?

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

chmcwill

Read-Only Flag for Files not Check Out?

Post by chmcwill » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:15 pm

One of our external developers noticed this when working with the Visual Studio IDE that after checking in the source file, it did not show as being Read Only, indicating that the file could not be updated.

We recently upgraded to Version 4.1 and I tested this personally, only to see that the ReadOnly flag is not getting set when the file is checked in. I verified that the ReadOnly flag was getting cleared on Check Out.

I tried to check to see if there was something about this in the forum but could not see anyone else talking about this issue. Please let us know why this is not working correctly, thanks.

bfinney

Post by bfinney » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:25 am

What version of Visual Studio? I just tried a quick test in VS.NET 2003 and it seemed to be OK - files under Source Control were set to read only following a check in, while non-controlled files reamained writable.

Also, you might want to verify that the "Use read-only flag for files that are not checked out" option is enabled.

chmcwill

Post by chmcwill » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:52 pm

We are using Visual Studio 6 (specifically Visual Basic 6) Service Pack 5, however, we use the Source Offsite client, version 4.1, for checking files in and out, rather than Visual Studio.

I verified that the option "Use read-only flag for files that are not checked out" was checked, then closed and restarted the SourceOffsite client, just in case.

bfinney

Post by bfinney » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:54 pm

I've had no luck whatsoever reproducing this. The only differece I know about is that I'm on sp6 instead of 5, but I can't fathom that making any difference.

Were the files added to the VSS database through the SOS client or from inside VB? That is to say, has IDE integration ever been used?