Compression error...

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

gimdev

Compression error...

Post by gimdev » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:09 pm

We're using SOS 4.0.2 (no cryptography) with VSS 6.0c.

The database is located in Texas and the remote users are in Singapore.

When attempting to Share a project (Branch and Recurse, to archive it) we get the message:

An unknown error occurred while accessing c:\xxxxxxxxxxxxx.

The specific file listed will vary with different attempts to perform the share.

At first I thought this was a server side issue, but there were no errors logged anywhere and the share would work fine if performed using the MS VSS client (from Texas).

While trying to diagnose the problem I learned (using Sysinternals filemon.exe) that the Client OS was returning an error to the client application. The specific error is 0xC00000E8 (Status_Invalid_User_Buffer) which normally means that an invalid buffer address was passed to the OS to perform I/0.

So I searched these forums for someone else who might have had a similar problem and found the Topic:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=885

At the very bottom of this Topic, the user was kind enough to return and post the solution that was apparently derived with the help of SourceGear Tech Support, but was not part of the posted Topic. He stated that turning off the compression on the client resolved the issue and that compression wasn't important on his network.

Well, turning of the compression on the client seems to resolve our ability to perform the action, but the loss of compression IS an issue on our WAN.

Our client machines are running Win2K and yes, we have tried this on several different machines with different configurations and we always get the same results.

Is this issue with using compression on the Client a known bug? Is it resolved with version 4.1 and if not, are y'all working to repair it?

Thanks,

-- Kevin

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:25 pm

The post you quoted may have referred to a bug that caused a problem using the IDE integration through the unsecure port when compression is disabled.

I'd like to see a copy of your SOS Server log.txt file. It's in the SOS Server directory.

Send it to linda at SourceGear.com
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager