Remote VPN Network Shares and SOS OUCH!!

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

mathewss

Remote VPN Network Shares and SOS OUCH!!

Post by mathewss » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:31 am

Ok i have found another reason for the slowdows i have been dealing with over the years. I oftine work on customers systems via VPN over slower WAN links. I will use a network share to edit the customers web pages.

Net use R: \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\inetpub\

this link works just fine to edit files but it must be understood that its slow and any excessive activity on this link will slow things down very bad.

If I use SOS to set my working folder to R:\customerdocs\
SOS goes out to luch for several minutes at a time and only becomes useable for a few seconds ever few minutes.

I have used Filemon from sysinternals.com to clearly see that any mouse activity or window activity on your application causes it to scan and touch every file in a folder thus leaving no time to do anything with the application because its too busy trying to do this over the slow link.

We need a way to force SOS to no probe so much. And in general im not sure its necessary to probe like this at all it could be considered network waste even inside of an office network.

What you think?
Regards
Sean Mathews Nu Tech CTO

struct SoftwareProfessional {
double salary;
long lunches;
float jobs;
char unstable;
void work;
short tempers;
};

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:12 pm

Are you saying your working directory is not on the same machine as your SOS Client, and not even on the same LAN?

Then, yes, SOS will be very slow. It really wasn't designed to work with remote working folders.

If I've misunderstood your information, please let me know.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

mathewss

Post by mathewss » Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:50 pm

lbauer wrote:Are you saying your working directory is not on the same machine as your SOS Client, and not even on the same LAN?

Then, yes, SOS will be very slow. It really wasn't designed to work with remote working folders.

This is exactly what im saying. Source Safe client in this case is much faster than SOS. Because Source Safe client GUI does not constantly drill into the file system to look for file change notification or what ever the gui is doing.

I would suggest an option is needed to not keep probing the file system be it local or remote as its a waste of processor and in my case bandwith.

Maybe in my case it is better to not use the GUI as it is inefficient and just use command line if you dont think this is an important thing to fix.

Even if it is not a network connection your probing of the file system
is not a good coding practice unless you "MUST" know if a file shows up or size chages. If not then you are just wasting cpu cycles.
Regards
Sean Mathews Nu Tech CTO

double salary;
long lunches;
float jobs;
char unstable;
void work;
short tempers;
};

mathewss

Post by mathewss » Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:53 pm

lbauer wrote:Are you saying your working directory is not on the same machine as your SOS Client, and not even on the same LAN?

On a side note if you realy want to make this a good product you will att FTP and SCP including the ablity to use SSH keys to your product

winscp32 is a good example of an scp client. In some cases i have to work with files that are only available via FTP or SCP so i have to do additional steps to keep them in SOS. I have to SCP or FTP them down local check them in / out then SCP them back. If the checkout and check in of SOS would use SCP or FTP that would safe me and probably many other people a lot of time.
Regards
Sean Mathews Nu Tech CTO

double salary;
long lunches;
float jobs;
char unstable;
void work;
short tempers;
};