Renegade .vbprj file in Visual Studio 2010

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
mdavies

Renegade .vbprj file in Visual Studio 2010

Post by mdavies » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:41 am

Greetings, and my apologies if this topic has been covered elsewhere...

I use your SourceGear Vault Professional version 6.1.0 Visual Studio Enhanced Client with Visual Studio 2010.

For the most part everything works as expected. However, on occasion, I will be working in a Visual Studio project, and will add a file or files to the project, and this action will set the project's .vbprj file to "Renegade" status.

My Vault properties are set up to require check out before editing.

My understanding is that the Vault integration with Visual Studio should dictate the following behavior:
When adding a file to a Visual Studio project, Visual Studio wants to open and edit the .vbprj file because it maintains a list of files included in the project. Therefore, the .vbprj file should get "checked out" of the Vault before getting edited. It then should remain checked out until explicitly checked in by me.
This is indeed the behavior I most often see.

On occasion however, the "Renegade" status occurs instead. Any insight on why?
To my knowledge, the .vbprj file was not already checked out by someone else, elsewhere.
And what is the recommended way to resolve this Renegade status on a .vbprj file?

In general, the Renegade status should never exist in our environment.
Our programming staff mostly have prior experience with Microsoft Visual SourceSafe in an environment of "exclusive check-out" wherein the "Renegade" status is a foreign concept. No simultaneous editing and subsequent merging.
We have taken steps to set up our Vault environment to mimic this "exclusive check-out" behavior. Perhaps there is more we can do in this regard.

Please advise.

Thanks!
Lawrence "Mick" Davies
Lead Software Engineer, Seattle Public Utilities

Beth

Re: Renegade .vbprj file in Visual Studio 2010

Post by Beth » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:09 am

The Renegade status means that an edit was made to a file without it being checked out. The reasons why a file might not automatically check out are:
1) Another user has the file exclusively locked.
2) The Auto-check out feature is not turned on.
3) The file is set to writable. The auto-check out won't work on files that are already writable.

Check the .vbprj file. Is it read-only or writable?

Go to VS - Tools - Options - Source Control - Environment and check the settings you have for On Save and On Edit. Are those set to "Check out automatically?"
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

mdavies

Post by mdavies » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:21 am

Thanks, Beth!
I confirmed that the file wasn't checked out by another user, that Auto-check out feature wasn't/isn't turned on, and that OnEdit is set to "check out automatically".

However, it is possible that the file had been set to "writable" outside of Visual Studio. So that might explain it.

I'll keep a close monitor on the situation, and if the issue occurs again, will hopefully have more specific details of the situation.

Mick

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:06 am

Thanks for the update. I'll wait for a few more details.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support