How to check in file with different encoding?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
rubenmch

How to check in file with different encoding?

Post by rubenmch » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:50 pm

I'm using Vault Professional 6.1.0.30531 with Visual Studio 2010 using the Classic Client.

I needed to change the encoding of some .cs files from Western European (Windows)(1252) to Unicode (UTF-8)(65001) with BOM.

So I performed the following steps:

1. Checked out the files in Visual Studio (Let's call this version 1 of the files)
2. Changed the encoding of the files without modifying anything else in the content of the files
3. Checked in the files in Visual Studio (Let's call this version 2 of the files)

After that the Vault Professional Client showed the status of the files as "More Recent" and showed a value of 2 in the Local Version column and a value of 1 in the Remote Version column.

Then I selected Get Latest Version in Visual Studio and the files were reverted to the files with the Western European (Windows)(1252) encoding. It now shows Local Version 1 and Remote Version 1. Version 2 is gone.

Version 2 with the UTF-8+BOM encoding is still shown when I view the file history however it's not shown in the Remote Version column and is not downloaded when I select Get Latest Version.

Is this a bug or is there a different procedure to change the encoding of a file?

Beth

Re: How to check in file with different encoding?

Post by Beth » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:28 pm

In order to get a check in to occur, an edit inside the file needs to happen. Does changing the encoding work if you add a comment to the file at the same time as changing the encoding and then checking in?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support