Failure to open a repository

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
CityOfOrlando

Failure to open a repository

Post by CityOfOrlando » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:12 am

Hi,

We recently upgraded to Vault Professional, version 6.1.0 (30531). This is a new Windows 7 PC (Intel i5-3470, 64-bit, 16 GB RAM). Today I was looking for a solution but didn't know which repository it was in, so I started opening each repository one by one and performing a file search. Four repositories that I previously had access to failed to open with the error message: "The file exists." Nothing in my Event Viewer showed any failures related to this. As I progressed with other repositories, the application eventually locked up, forcing me to end the process in Windows Task Manager. I tried rebooting, but the same thing occurs. I'm still unable to open those repositories, and I think that I was able to open one of the four when I initially started this process, so it seems like the situation might be deteriorating. I attempted to log in from another PC and I was able to access the repositories, so there may be an issue with this PC, but it's strange that it would start happening after a week or two of no problems.

Thanks for your help,

John
Last edited by CityOfOrlando on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

lbauer

Re: Failure to open a repository

Post by lbauer » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:27 am

We had another user with this problem and they found that they had too many Vault temporary files. Make sure all instances of VS and Vault are closed. Then try clearing out Vault related files from your %temp% folder.Look for files that either have Vault in their name or files that are named like "tmpXXXXX.tmp" where "XXXXX" is a series of hex digits. You should be able to either rename or remove those files. Then try reopening your Vault GUI client and connecting to a repository.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

CityOfOrlando

Post by CityOfOrlando » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:36 am

Hi Linda,

Deleting the files that had Vault in them did not help, but once I deleted the tmp*.tmp files I was able to access the repositories again. I am not sure why this would have been the case except that maybe you're trying to use files of the same name as some other application (or Microsoft DLLs are doing that), but I will keep that in mind. I didn't look at the name of each file (obviously), but it appeared that virtually all were present from tmp1.tmp through tmpFFFF.tmp. Maybe when it attempted to roll over back to 1 it found a file and produced that error.

If I don't post again, assume that my problem has been resolved.

Thank you to all of you there at SourceGear!

John

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:43 am

Thanks for the update. Let us know if the problem continues.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager