Public Items

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
cs

Public Items

Post by cs » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:01 am

I don't understand what Public Items are for. I can't see a way of making any items 'public'.

I have some users who need to see their 'own' items.

I can do a custom solution with the API but 'Public Items' may satisfy.

Are there any sample use cases for Public Items?

Beth

Re: Public Items

Post by Beth » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:42 am

Both Public and Private items can only be seen by logged in users.

If the ability to have Public and Private items are turned on, then it's possible to create a group to separate out people who are only allowed to see public items.

Here's some basic steps to set up and what they do.
  • 1) In the Vault admin web page, set your Item Tracking Project to ‘Enable Public Items.’ Then click Save.

2) Click on the Groups link under the Item Tracking Project.

3) Click Add to add a new group. Create a name. You can add users at this time or later. Click Save.

4) Click on Project Access under the Item Tracking Project.

5) Set the group you created to have some kind of access to the repository and click Assign.

6) Click on your project name again on the left, and now you can set whether the groups you create are for accessing public items only, or public and private items. Users not in this group won’t be bound by the restrictions set by this group. I'm assuming that the Public Only option is chosen for the purpose of these instructions.

7) The administration side is done. A user can now add a work item.

8_) At the top of each work item is a check box where the item can be marked public. If that is not checked, it will become a private item.

9) Users who were added to the Public Items only group will only see items marked as public. All other users who are allowed access to the repository, will see all public and private items.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

cs

Post by cs » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:57 am

Steps 1 to 5 are easy to follow.

However step 6 doesn't make sense to me unfortunately. In the Admin page I click on a Project but just receive the options to set active, external or enable public items.

No mention of groups?

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:36 am

I will attach a document with screenshots. Let me know if this helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beth Kieler

cs

Post by cs » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:59 am

Thanks. I got this to work.

I was trying to use global groups instead of project-level groups. I have many projects so this would be more convenient. Regardless, I have it working now if I create a group in each project and assign rights accordingly.

Thanks for your help on this one.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:44 pm

You're welcome.
Beth Kieler