Minor Enhancement Requests

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
TrendyTim

Minor Enhancement Requests

Post by TrendyTim » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:27 pm

I remember a while back, i remember having status icons for a file when it was checked out by another user, but that no longer happens, i don't know if it was the upgrade to v5 or 6 for us that lost it or just the enhanced client but it was very useful, it has been bugging me for a while, i recently had a very very messy merge because two of us modified the GUI of a complex form at the same time and i had to abandon my changes because DiffMerge wasn't up to the task.

Also if i do a Diff on a file that is checked in but different to the repository (file in Sol Explorer says its old), could we have it default to compare against repository instead of last retrieved (since last retrieved will always be the same in that case), i often like to evaluate what changes were made to some files before i get it (kind of like a code review).

I hope that those two minor enhancements can be added, thanks.

lbauer

Re: Minor Enhancement Requests

Post by lbauer » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:13 am

status icons for a file when it was checked out by another user
Are you referring to the "tiny person" glyph or icon in the Visual Studio Solution Explorer? I don't think we took it out, but I'll check into this.

What version of Visual Studio are you using?

Did the other developer check out files exclusively? That "tiny person" only shows up if another user has the file exclusively checked out.

Also, if you're using CVS mode instead of VSS mode, "tiny person" won't show up because there are no checkouts in CVS mode.
Also if i do a Diff on a file that is checked in but different to the repository (file in Sol Explorer says its old), could we have it default to compare against repository instead of last retrieved
This is configurable, either from the Vault Client or Visual Studio. In Visual Studio, the setting can be found under Tools->Options->Source Control->Vault Options->Advanced Options->Diff/Merge->Default Item to Diff Against->Diff Against Current Version in Repository.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

TrendyTim

Post by TrendyTim » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:55 pm

Are you referring to the "tiny person" glyph or icon in the Visual Studio Solution Explorer? I don't think we took it out, but I'll check into this.
That would be the one.
What version of Visual Studio are you using?
I'm using VS2012 RTM.
Did the other developer check out files exclusively? That "tiny person" only shows up if another user has the file exclusively checked out.
I could have sworn it worked for non exclusive checkouts before (where i think it would more useful) but perhaps i'm wrong, either way it would be nice to be able to enable that for non exclusive checkouts (i guess an option to enable it would be best).
Also, if you're using CVS mode instead of VSS mode, "tiny person" won't show up because there are no checkouts in CVS mode.
*Shudder* VSS mode all the way for me :)
This is configurable, either from the Vault Client or Visual Studio. In Visual Studio, the setting can be found under Tools->Options->Source Control->Vault Options->Advanced Options->Diff/Merge->Default Item to Diff Against->Diff Against Current Version in Repository.
I suppose i could do that but i was thinking more along the lines of a different setting based on the checkout status, i almost always check against last retrieved if i was working on the file (ie its checked out), but if the file is already checked in it should compare against the repository because the working folder and last retrieved should be the same (except in cases where things go heywire and vault gets confused about what "last retrieved" was and compares it agaisn't a really old version).

It's not a biggie, i just have to train myself to not jump the gun.

TrendyTim

Post by TrendyTim » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:14 pm

I just saw the "tiny person" glyph today on a file i had checked out on another machine, so it seems that it shows it for exclusive, things you have checked out elsewhere but not files other people have checked out.

So it would be nice to see that, and also the date/time it was checked out.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:37 pm

I can log a feature request and we will look into it. Visual Studio may have some limits on what we can do in this area.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

TrendyTim

Post by TrendyTim » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:38 am

Thank you, i cant see any reason VS should prevent it, since its exactly the same behavior as me having it checked out else where but its someone else having it checked out elsewhere.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.