zip file

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Gunnar Skogsholm

zip file

Post by Gunnar Skogsholm » Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:05 pm

I'm having trouble with a corrupt zip file. Amazingly, I have traced it down to SourceOffSite. The file is good prior to check-in. I check-in, delete file, get-latest, and then the file is corrupt. It's a zip file created by WinZip. It contains one file with a long file name. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:10 pm

I'm using SOS classic 3.5.2

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:09 pm

I wasn't able to reproduce this. I created a text file with 58 characters in the name, created a WinZip archive and added the file to the archive. I added the .zip file to SOS, checked it out, edited the text file, checked in back in, deleted the file from my local drive and did a Get Latest. All was fine.

If your steps were different, let me know. Did you use WinZip or the XP Zip file feature?

By any chance, are you using an AT&T cable modem or a LinkSys router? These have been known to cause data corruption when used with SOS.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Gunnar Skogsholm

zip file

Post by Gunnar Skogsholm » Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:04 pm

hmmm, I'm still amazed that there are other bug reports listed here. I was on the original beta team back when Eric & Co were first starting. In all these years, not one complaint from me. You folks are an inspiration to us.

However, back to this problem. I just tried again, and it's repeatable on my end. The cable modem is Motorola, but the router is linksys. I am using WinZip 9.0. I right click on file, select "add to zip", check in, delete local file, get-latest on file, and try to open the zip. I get:

Extracting to "C:\Documents and Settings\Gunnar Skogsholm\Local Settings\Temp\"
Use Path: no Overlay Files: yes
warning [C:\Dev\Product\Release\School-Assignment HomeSchool Edition.zip]: extra 588 bytes at beginning or within Zip file (attempting to process anyway)
Error in file #1: bad Zip file offset (Error local header signature not found): 0
(attempting to re-compensate)
Extracting School-Assignment HomeSchool Edition.application
Error: invalid compressed data to inflate

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:45 am

I upgraded to WinZip 9.1, still can't replicate. Your LinkSys router is highly suspect.

In the 6 year history of SourceOffSite, we have had a handful of reports
of data corruption and the culprit in all of those cases turned out to be a router (LinkSys).

We don't know why the Linksys routers sometimes cause data corruption with SOS. But we've worked with Linksys technical support in the past and at one point had identified that versions of the firmware before 1.3 caused the problem.

The way to confirm that it's the router is to try to connect to SOS through a different way that doesn't have the router in its path.

We used to recommend upgrading to the latest router firmware, However, some firmware upgrades have re-introduced the problem. We've had users go back to an earlier version, if that version worked with no problems. I don't have any specifics other than try to try a different version of the firmware version. This link may help you:

http://www.hansenonline.net/Networking/linksysFW.html
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager