Slow Get Latest from office

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

C# Developer

Slow Get Latest from office

Post by C# Developer » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:53 am

I'm not sure if this is a config setting or what, but when I do a get latest, it just creeps along. This is true even when I am in the office on the network. The SOS client is also very slow when I click on a directory to get the file list.

Is there something wrong with my config or is this expected behavior? VSS is 100 X faster when in the office. SOS behaves the same whether local or remote.

C# Deve

one more thing

Post by C# Deve » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:57 am

I forgot to add that it seems like SOS is getting almost every file, even though only a few have been updated.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:42 am

SOS will always be slower on the LAN than VSS. It was designed to be used primary over the Internet, where VSS really bogs down.

Could you quantify what you mean by "slow"?

How many files in a particular project, and what's the size of the "Get" in bytes? How long does it take to do the get into an empty working directory?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

BenJones

Post by BenJones » Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:54 pm

Hi,

I am seeing a very similar *slowness* when I do a recursive 'Get Latest Version' on my source tree. My tree contains about 370 folders and 6000 files (total size about 150MB).

Each morning I do a get as I work remotely (other side of the world) and have to get any changes made by the rest of the team in London over night.

It usually takes about 3-4 mins to do the complete get, whereby usually there are between 10-25 files that have actually changed and need replacing.

For some reason the last two days have been taking hours, not minutes. I have checked my connection and it is not b/w issues at my end or the server end (I can download files from the London ftp server at a good rate).

I am using v3.5.1 - are there any known issues with this version with regard to this sort of thing?

Any help would be fantastic !
Regards,
Ben

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:39 pm

Generally when we get reports like this it's because of anti-virus software on the SOS Server machine. Real-time anti-virus software can affect every read-write and SOS does a lot of that.

See this KB article for more information.

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=41
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager