OSX GUI client, how to install?

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

sophtware

OSX GUI client, how to install?

Post by sophtware » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:56 am

I just upgraded to 4.1 with the hopes of getting the OSX GUI client up and running. I've downloaded the package and installed it, but it's not there. Also, there are no instructions for the install of the OSX GUI client.

I've installed the package, but don't see any GUI client in the installed folder. There are two Terminal icons, but those act like the commandline version, and both are looking for the GLIB and GTK+ libraries for the Mac.

Am I missing something? What do I need to do to get the GUI client installed and working on my Mac?

Mac G5 1.8, 1.2GB Ram, 80gb hd, 10.3.x os installed and updated.

Please respond quickly, thanks!
Kind Regards,
Michael Lange

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:25 am

We apologize for the lack of documentation and plan to remedy that soon. The SOS Mac client is not a a native app. It's basically a Unix client the runs on a Mac.

System requirements are as follows:

-- Mac OS X -- Darwin

-- X11

GTK 2.4

SourceGear's Mac client machines have Darwin version 7.6.0 and X11 version 1.3b4 installed.

Other versions may work with the Mac client, but have not been tested.

To launch the SOS GUI client, open an X Windows Terminal, cd to Applications/SourceOffSite and once you are in the SourceOffSite directory, type ./sos.

This will launch SourceOffSite.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

sophtware

Where and How to install needed components?

Post by sophtware » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:44 am

1. How do I determine what version of Darwin is on my machine? It's a brand new G5 (silver case).

2. GTK is not installed on my machine, where do I get the right version, how do I install the right version?

Any more help will be appriciated.
Kind Regards,
Michael Lange

sophtware

X11 version?

Post by sophtware » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:46 am

One last thing, how can I tell if I have X11 on my machine, and what version? Where would I get it?
Kind Regards,
Michael Lange

sophtware

Further progress...

Post by sophtware » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:42 am

Ok, this is what I have done so far:

1. Made sure that x11 was installed from the Developer CD that came with the Mac.

2. Downloaded and installed FINK.

3. Used the FinkCommander to install the GTK+2 package (v2.2.4-2). This one took a while to do. There were many dependencies on other packages.

The version of the package from Fink is not 2.4, so how and where can I get that version? Can I install it with Fink?

I tried running the SOS program, but got a library version mismatch.

Also, SOS is looking for the libgtk-x11-2.0.0.dylib in this directory: /opt/local/lib, while the FinkCommander installes it to /sw/lib. How can I get around this? I copied it over to the directory it was looking for (had to create it), but I'm not sure if this will cause other problems down the road.

A quick response would be greatly appriciated! Thanks.
Kind Regards,
Michael Lange

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:04 pm

You can download GTK 2.4 from:

http://people.sourcegear.com/~linda/

It's the same one we used to build our Mac client.

I'm not sure about how to get GTK to install in the right spot. Are there any options for this in Fink?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:38 pm

The fink installer generally picks a "safe" place but may be able to install to a specific location if explicitly told to.

http://fink.sourceforge.net/faq/general ... #usr-local

Regarding copying the files: this doesn't always work, as Unix looks for hard-coded paths, but then again, this is where the SOS Client is looking for these files.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

sophtware

How was the Mac setup on the Development Machine?

Post by sophtware » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:59 pm

This seems to get more confusing all the time.

I have now reinstalled the OS to start clean. Is there anyone at your location that actually uses the Mac? If so, is it possible that they indicate how they set up their machine? (i.e., what packages they installed, any package manager they used, etc...)

I would really like to get this to work.

Thanks.
Kind Regards,
Michael Lange

aburnett

Re: How was the Mac setup on the Development Machine?

Post by aburnett » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:35 pm

sophtware wrote:This seems to get more confusing all the time.

I have now reinstalled the OS to start clean. Is there anyone at your location that actually uses the Mac? If so, is it possible that they indicate how they set up their machine? (i.e., what packages they installed, any package manager they used, etc...)

I would really like to get this to work.

Thanks.
I used darwin ports to install the GTK under OS X. www.darwinports.org

darwin port installs the gtk into /opt/local

http://people.sourcegear.com/~linda/GTK2.4.pkg.tar

should also intall into /opt/local

The GUI client for OS X is not a native application. You must launch it from within an xterm - IE, you cannot double click on in from Finder to launch it.

sophtware

More problems...

Post by sophtware » Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:32 am

Ok, I downloaded the DarwinPorts appication and succesfully installed it. I then ran "sudo port install gtk2" from the commandline. This took several hours to complete. It did complete succesfully.

I then went to my SourceOffsite directory and ran "./sos" from the commandline. The program stopped with the message "cannot open library: "/opt/local/lib/libtiff.3.6.2.dylib".

I checked the /opt/local/lib directory and all of the required libraries are there that were missing before. It now seems that I have *newer* stuff then what you compiled the sos with. My tiff lib is 3.7.1.

Two things:

1. Can you update your libraries and recompile the sos and send me a copy.

-- or --

2. Give me specific instructions on how to downgrade my libraries to match yours. There were *many* dependencies for the GTK2 library. Far to many for me to guess at.

I'm thinking that option #1 will be the easiest for me.
Kind Regards,
Michael Lange

Re: More problems...

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:17 pm

sophtware wrote:Ok, I downloaded the DarwinPorts appication and succesfully installed it. I then ran "sudo port install gtk2" from the commandline. This took several hours to complete. It did complete succesfully.

I then went to my SourceOffsite directory and ran "./sos" from the commandline. The program stopped with the message "cannot open library: "/opt/local/lib/libtiff.3.6.2.dylib".

I checked the /opt/local/lib directory and all of the required libraries are there that were missing before. It now seems that I have *newer* stuff then what you compiled the sos with. My tiff lib is 3.7.1.
Can you post the output of:

otool -L /Applications/SourceOffSite/sos

Is there any reason you were against just installing our version of the GTK that we compiled our binary against?

It looks like darwin ports has now upgraded to GTK2.6, which is not the original version of the GTK which was used to develop SOS 4.1.0

tfield1974

Got it working

Post by tfield1974 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:49 pm

Hi,

I got mine working. Here are some rough notes. I'm sorry I don't have exact details.

Download X11 from Apple and install it. It's from Apple so actually installing it is easy.

I happen to have the Mac OS X developer tools on my system, so there may be libraries there that I've got already installed that an average user may not have. The thing is, when I got those tools they were free, but now you have to buy the XCode Developer Tools from Apple, which stinks.

First, I tried compiling the source on my system back in October/November. This was basically a horrible experience. I had to track down all of the unix libraries and try to get them installed. Installing GTK sounds easy until you discover how many other layers are required to get it to work. I don't think I ever really got it working properly, so I gave up. The state of my system at that point was probably really scary. Again, I'm sorry I don't have more detail about that scenario.

When the preview came out, I downloaded the GTK from Linda's web page and installed it without issue. Then I ran the Mac OS X package installer for SOS 4.1.0 and it ran fine... AS LONG AS I LOGGED IN AS ROOT! That is, I had to log out of my mac using the regular user, and then click on the "other" option on the login screen, then log in as root. (You have to enable the Root user in netinfo first if you haven't already). That worked fine.

BEFORE YOU LOG OUT as root, right-click (ctrl-click) on the sos file in the /Applications/SourceOffsite folder, and choose "Open with" > "Other", then browse to /Applications/Utilities/X11. Check off the checkbox called "always open with". This will let you be able to double-click on the SOS icon and have it open with X11, which trust me, you want. I now put that icon on my dock for easy access in the future.

It would be nice if SourceGear did this automatically for you on the install, but they don't... yet... An actuall Mac icon would be nice too... Linda - are you listening? (this stuff is pretty easy to do when you're creating the install package - you can figure it out from scratch in about an hour :-)

That's it. It seemed to work fine. I ran into an issue where I needed to upgrade to 4.1.1, so I just trashed my /Applications/SourceOffiste folder and ran the 4.1.1 installer as root, and it worked again.

Linda - I'm not sure if you have any idea why I had to be root to run the installer, but if there is some kind of bug, a fix would be much more mac-friendly. My system may be screwy though.

Good luck.
Tony

hvanzile

Installation easier than expected

Post by hvanzile » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:13 pm

I just thought I'd post a positive note and say that installation was a piece of cake.

I downloaded X11 from Apple, installed that.
Downloaded GTK2.4 from the link Linda posted earlier, installed that.
Installed SOS 4.11.

No problems, no needing to log in as root. I, too, highly suggest control-clicking on the "SOS" document and setting it to always open with X11.

And, I have to admit, I put a custom icon on it because I wanted it to look nice. :oops:

Clark

Next step

Post by Clark » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:46 pm

I was able to install X11, GTK2.4.pkg.tar and SOS 411. Everything works great, except, what editors do you use to both view the file and directory diferences? I am a newbie to X11 and am not sure what to set in the options dialog box.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:21 am

We don't have a built-in diff/merge tool for Unix/Mac just yet.

I use "vi" for the app for viewing and editing: xterm -e vi "%s"

See this user's suggestions for configuring an editor and diff/merge tool:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=2782
Linda Bauer
SourceGear