Metrics for Check ins

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

rabbey

Metrics for Check ins

Post by rabbey » Tue Jul 30, 2024 5:17 am

Hi

I've been given a task to provide a range of metrics for our vault users and their check ins. It's nothing too crazy, but I was wondering what the best solution is.

I've seen other posts which suggest using file history tool in the client and then exporting results to CSV. However, it appears those results are limited to most recent 1000. we have history back to 2015 but taking a recurisve history of a folder (not even the root), it only reaches back to March 2024.

Is there something we can leverage via direct SQL queries to retrive equivalent data, or will I need to write something to execute via API (.NET).

If we're having to use the API, is the API restricted to top 1000 results? Do you have API example that can provide me with recursive check in history?

thanks

Tonya

Re: Metrics for Check ins

Post by Tonya » Tue Jul 30, 2024 12:26 pm

Hello,

We have a couple of suggestions:

1) If the file history feature doesn't provide you with all the information you need, you could always run it with a date range to obtain the info in sections (to avoid the row limitation).

2) You could use the Vault CLC using the "-rowlimit 0" for the option. Specifying the -rowlimit 0 will retrieve all history without limitations. Running the following command will display the options available within the CLC using the History command:

vault.exe help HISTORY

Thanks,

Tonya

rabbey

Post by rabbey » Wed Jul 31, 2024 6:18 am

Hi Tonya,

Perfect answer for me! Good reminder about the CLC and honestly it was the lowest effort option!

Code: Select all

call vault HISTORY -rowlimit 0 -includeactions checkin,create,add -xmlstyle element   "$/" > SourceHistory_elem.xml
For anyone else who might stumble across this, I recommend outputting the file with the 'Element' style. You can then (after a very minor manual edit, see below), import this data into Excel (Data > GetData > From File > From XML)

The very minor edit is to manually delete the 'busgreferenced' and 'result' xml at the end of the file as it upsets Excel import analysis
..snip..
<actionString>Created</actionString>
</item>
</history>
<bugsreferenced />
<result>
<success>True</success>
</result>

</vault>

thanks so much!

Tonya