Unable to log in to SOS--this week!

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

rickcampbell

Unable to log in to SOS--this week!

Post by rickcampbell » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:43 pm

I am using SOS Client 4.02 on a Windows XP system. Last week I could log onto SOS from work with no problem. This week I cannot. When I try to log in I get the following status messages:

Connecting to <IP>...
Server Sending 128 bit challenge
Using 128 bit encryption to communciate with server
Logging in...

And then it just hangs and times-out. I know it is not my laptop because it works just fine from home. I suspect something has changed on the coporate network, but as of right now they don't know what changed.

I can ping the SOS server and TelNet to it. Althought, the TelNet session looks a bit weird (notice all the strange characters). Here are the results:

Protocol-Version:2.0
Message-ID:00000000
Database Aliases:VSS_Data
Content-Length:92
Key Length:16

}Ü@*≥ΦUªPµ[²╓☻U┐C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VSS\VSS_DB\VSS_DATA\src
safe.ini

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you,

Rick Campbell

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:15 am

Generally, if SOS worked before and suddenly doesn't work, we have to look to some change in network configuration or possibly a change made to SOS. So the first thing to determine is what may have changed. You mentioned the corporate network may have changed.

The telnet test indicates the SOS Server port is reachable via TCP/IP. The strange characters aren't an error -- that's what comes back when you're connecting to the secure port.

Can you connect to the unsecure port when you're on the LAN? Are you the only user who can't connect from within the LAN?

Is there anything useful in the SOS log.txt file in the SOS Server directory?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

rickcampbell

Post by rickcampbell » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:33 am

Linda,

What do you mean by, "Can you connect to the unsecure port when you're on the LAN?"

I can telnet to both ports 8080 and 8081 from my work network. I can also connect to the SOS server using the SOS client from my home network, but I cannot access it from my work network. Unfortunately, I do not have access to the SOS Server. That is being maintained by a different company. Other users of the SOS server can still access it just fine and the administrator has told me that he has not changed anything.

Regards,

Rick Campbell

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:08 am

If the client is hanging as you're logging in, it's possible there's a problem with your local client cache file. Look in C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\SourceGear\SOS\servers and find the appropriate databaseX.sos file. Rename it and connect again. You should be able to connect and the cache file will be re-created.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

rickcampbell

Post by rickcampbell » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:18 am

Linda, I went as far as uninstalling the SOS client and deleting the entire SourceGear tree in Application Data. When I reinstalled and reran the SOS client, it recreated only SourceGear/SOS. It did not recreate the servers folder. Login still hung in exactly the same way it did before. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

-Rick Campbell

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:09 pm

There's no databaseX.sos file because you haven't downloaded the project tree to create the cache.

I don't think we've looked at the SOS log file yet. Could you enable verbose logging for the SOS Server:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=463

Then try to connect, and then send me a copy of the SOS Server log. Let me know the time in the log that you tried to connect. Does it even show your attempted login?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

rickcampbell

Post by rickcampbell » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:23 pm

Linda, I have no access to the SOS server itself. It is hosted at a different company. I will try to get the administrator to do as you suggested. I am out of town travelling next week, so if you don't hear from me that's why. I am still very interested in getting this fixed.

Thanks for your help!

Rick Campbell