SoS client has files status as 'needs merge'

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

ChuckLindgren

SoS client has files status as 'needs merge'

Post by ChuckLindgren » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:46 am

but when I do a compare, they are identical. Perhaps one out of 10 will have an actual change, so I have to go through and diff each one to make sure it is really identical. Then I 'get latest version' with overwrite, and they 'needs merge' message goes away.

Is there a way to a) batch compare several files at once, or b) get rid of the 'needs merge' status unless it actually needs to be merged?

Chuck

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:05 pm

Needs Merge files are not up to date with the latest contents in the database and have changed in the working directory. The contents may be the same, but somehow the timestamp of the file in your working folder has changed, so SOS thinks the file has been modified.

A folder diff might help you determine which files are different.

There's no way to do a batch "Resolve Merge Status."

You could try doing a Get Latest operation with "Attempt an automatic merge" If your local file is different from one in the database the Get should automatically incorporate the repository changes and change the status of the file to Merged. You should then be able to check it in.

If you want or need to resolve the merge problems manually, you may do so by selecting "Show Merge" from the context menu. Once you are done merging your changes with the repository changes, you must select "Resolve Merge Status" from the context menu in order to change the file's status to Merged.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

jimc

Files show "Needs Merge" but are identical. Why?

Post by jimc » Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:24 pm

I keep getting "Needs Merge" file statuses on files that have not been edited by anyone else nor by me. They are identical when a Show Differences is done. The Local Version shows as one less than the Remove Version (ex: Local Version = 4 and Remove Version = 5). I'm still getting this behavior even after deleting my working folder and getting latest on the whole project. I'm sure these files are not being edited so any idea as to why SOS thinks I have a different version than the server?

Thanks!

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:44 pm

Are you saying that when you do a get latest to an empty directory, the file status is Needs Merged? That's strange. When you look at file properties are they the same version?

What version of SOS Client and server do you have?

Are you using the Windows client?

Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support