Keepalive in Unix client

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

ryan

Keepalive in Unix client

Post by ryan » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:31 am

Hi,

Does anyone have the keep-alive working in the Unix client? I noticed the Windows client prints a message on every keepalive but no such thing on the Unix client (compiled for Linux).

Is there perhaps a system setting that overrides the user setting in my ~/.sos/prefs.

Thanks,
-Ryan

Keepalive in Unix client

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:58 am

While the keep alive doesn't report that it's doing anything in the message window, it is indeed working. I can add a bug to have the keep alive signal print a message to the message window.

There is no system setting that will override your ~/.sos/prefs settings.

ryan

Post by ryan » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:19 am

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps I should have said that my real problem was the keepalive wasn't working for me :D

Based on what you said about the keepalive working in the background, I deleted my ~/.sos/prefs and reconfigured (as I was having some strange problem where my options from the dialog were not getting saved) and now the keepalive is working properly.

Thanks,
-Ryan

ryan

Post by ryan » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:27 am

Hi SOS,

I'm afraid to report that I'm still having difficulties getting the keepalive to work. I have found that it works on the first occasion that it is configured, but does not continue to work after the app has been closed and started again. I'm suspecting a problem rereading the configuration file. Perhaps it would be useful to add a bug about the keepalive message to the UNIX client. It would help in debugging.

When I get a moment I will have a look at the source myself.

Cheers,
-Ryan

Bill Medland

Post by Bill Medland » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:02 pm

As I remember it, there are errors in the configuration screen which mess things up. I know I made some fixes to my copy to get it to work.

I'm new to the forum so I haven't yet investigated how we can all work together to help improve the clients. If you want more details of the fix, please ask.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:13 pm

Thanks for the info. We're currently working on SOS 4.1 and there still may be time to fix an important bug -- no guarantees, tho.

I'll log this and we'll see what we can do.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

ryan

Post by ryan » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:52 am

Bill Medland wrote:I'm new to the forum so I haven't yet investigated how we can all work together to help improve the clients. If you want more details of the fix, please ask.
Bill, I would love to know more details of your fix. Of course, a patch would be even better but I don't think we can work together like that because of the license agreement.

Perhaps Sourcegear could consider allowing user patches to be distributed via an official channel (so that the license agreement is not violated) and so that the community can directly benefit from other peoples fixes?

In the meantime Bill, if you could point me in the right direction for a fix I would be most grateful as this configuration issue is very annoying.

-Ryan

Bill Medland

Post by Bill Medland » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:17 pm

Hi Ryan

(Explanation of behaviour and workaround) The current code does start the keepalive when you turn the setting from off to on. That explains why some people seem to think it is working. However turning the option off and on is a bit of a pain.

I've submitted the patch to sourceGear but I don't know what they've done with it. (Linda?)

I'll see if SourceGear would object to me providing you with a copy. (Which version of the source do you have?)

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:54 pm

We don't object to your providing a copy to ryan. Thanks for asking permission.

Just to remind other users, we do make our Unix client code available for users to build their own clients, but users can share the code and any changes only with users in their own organization. In some cases, like this, we may give permission to share with other users.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager