Vault Shadow Failing

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
kv09blu

Vault Shadow Failing

Post by kv09blu » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:21 am

Hi,
We are using Vault Professional 6.1.0 and are experiencing intermittent failure of Shadow distributing files to our two servers.

For example, this morning we checked a file called MTFIntro.xml back into Vault at 09:06:03 (Check-in was done by a VB .Net application) File was checked in O.K to $/Project/Mk2/XML - remote version 9.

Vault should then have shadowed it out to our two servers but the Vault Shadow File Log showed an error at 09:06:09 -

20/08/2013 09:06:09 <generic>: [<No Name>:87] Vault's Shadow Folders attempting get (by Delta) for Xml

20/08/2013 09:06:23 <generic>: [<No Name>:87] Vault Shadow Folder encountered a problem: [VaultClientOperationsLib.GetLatestVersionFailedException: Exception of type 'VaultClientOperationsLib.GetLatestVersionFailedException' was thrown.
at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.ProcessGetFileRequests(GetFileInfo[] infos, MakeWritableType makeWritable, SetFileTimeType setFileTime, MergeType merge, Boolean updateHiddenFilesOnly, String ancestorFullPath, Boolean flat, String ancestorDiskPath, OverwritePrompt PromptData, Boolean isLabelGet, String currentPathToLabelItem, Int64 labelID, Boolean isRetry, Boolean isGetByDisplayVersion)
at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.Get(VaultClientFile[] files, Boolean forceLatest, MakeWritableType makeWritable, SetFileTimeType setFileTime, MergeType merge, OverwritePrompt PromptData)
at VaultShadowFolder.VaultShadowFolderRepository.VaultShadowFolderRepositoryProc()] Exception of type 'VaultClientOperationsLib.GetLatestVersionFailedException' was thrown.
at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.ProcessGetFileRequests(GetFileInfo[] infos, MakeWritableType makeWritable, SetFileTimeType setFileTime, MergeType merge, Boolean updateHiddenFilesOnly, String ancestorFullPath, Boolean flat, String ancestorDiskPath, OverwritePrompt PromptData, Boolean isLabelGet, String currentPathToLabelItem, Int64 labelID, Boolean isRetry, Boolean isGetByDisplayVersion)
at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.Get(VaultClientFile[] files, Boolean forceLatest, MakeWritableType makeWritable, SetFileTimeType setFileTime, MergeType merge, OverwritePrompt PromptData)
at VaultShadowFolder.VaultShadowFolderRepository.VaultShadowFolderRepositoryProc()

Once this error has occurred the only way we have found to force synchronisation between Vault and the servers is to delete the files from the live servers and let Shadow repopulate the servers.

This is causing many problems as we can no longer depend on the latest files being available on the servers.

Would be grateful for your help.

Regards,

KV

Beth

Re: Vault Shadow Failing

Post by Beth » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:06 am

Could you send me both a full Vault server log and the full Vault shadow folder log? Send those to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum post.

HS: 228538
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

camstobbe

Post by camstobbe » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:05 pm

Was a solution to this found? I am getting the same problem. That is, when we check in a file, the file does not appear in the shadow folder, and the shadow folder log says, "Exception of type 'VaultClientOperationsLib.GetLatestVersionFailedException' was thrown."

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:18 pm

I'll need to see the same logs I requested for the original user to see more details about the errors before I can determine if your case exactly matches the original poster's issue. Could you send me both a full Vault server log and the full Vault shadow folder log? Send those to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum post.
Beth Kieler

camstobbe

Post by camstobbe » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:37 pm

It turns out that the problem was bad file permissions on the file being shadowed.

For some reason, the shadow log file was only displaying this GetLatestVersionFailedException error. But when I changed the shadow setting to speed optimized=false, the shadow folder log file then displayed access denied errors on this and 3 other files. After I fixed the permissions on these 4 files, the shadow worked.

Thanks to Beth for the tip about the speed optimized setting.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:28 am

Thanks for the update. This will be useful information for other users.
Beth Kieler