Command Line Client Doesn't Return Error for CheckOutFile...

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

bmaxwell

Command Line Client Doesn't Return Error for CheckOutFile...

Post by bmaxwell » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:10 am

Using the Command Line Client that came with SOS 4.0.2, it seems that the CheckOutFile command doesn't properly return an error level value (to a batch file) in all cases.

It seems to properly return a non-zero errorlevel if I triy to check out a file that I already have checked out. However, it doesn't do this if somebody else has the file checked out.

This means that my batch files that attempt to check-out a file can't detect that the file is already checked out. It looks like the file was checked-out, but it really just gets a read-only copy of the file.

What's worse, is that if you are not using the -workdir option (which is supposed to use the working directory last set in the GUI client), then the failed CheckOutFile command gets a read-only copy of the file into the same directory as the batch file that called the CheckOutFile command.

Is this just me, or is it really a bug?

Thanks,

Bill

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:55 am

Could you post or email a copy of your command? If you post it, be sure to take out passwords or connection info. Or email to myname@SourceGear.com, with myname as Linda.

Also, are multiple checkouts allowed for your VSS database? This setting is in the VSS Admin Client under Tools->Options
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

bmaxwell

Post by bmaxwell » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:21 am

Hi Linda,

I emailed the information to you.

Thanks,
Bill

bmaxwell

Post by bmaxwell » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:48 pm

I said this previously:
It seems to properly return a non-zero errorlevel if I triy to check out a file that I already have checked out. However, it doesn't do this if somebody else has the file checked out.
But I was wrong. I was doing that from memory. Turns out, it doesn't return a non-zero errorlevel in either case. But, when I have it checked out already, it does return the following error message:

File already locked: D:\MDS\Planning\Software_Task_Planning\TriMedia_Task_Planning.xls

and it doesn't seem to output this error message when somebody else has it checked out.

So, I guess there are two things that need to be done:

1) Have it output the error message no matter who has the file checked out already.

2) Have it return a non-zero errorlevel whenever an error happens. Better yet, have it output "1" if error, "2" if warning, or something similar.

Bill

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:42 pm

We've looked into this, and there is a problem with the CLC error reporting. We'll be fixing this and some other CLC issues in SOS 4.1, due out in a couple of months.

Thanks for the bug report.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager