Preventing Check-out from Folder

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
scaiferw

Preventing Check-out from Folder

Post by scaiferw » Mon May 13, 2013 9:03 am

Hi;

I have a top-level folder that is used for development groups to submit work to the next stage in the development cycle (QA in this case). It is intended that developers can move a subfolder to that location after which it will be moved into the QA folder. However, I'm finding that some developers are checking materiel out in there after submitting it to QA, which is a big problem.

Is there a way to allow members of my development group to move a folder into the Submit to QA folder but not to checkout or modify?

Thanks,

Rob
Vault Standard Version 5.1.1.19215 -- Windows Server 2008 R2 -- SQL Server 2008 R2

Beth

Re: Preventing Check-out from Folder

Post by Beth » Mon May 13, 2013 12:48 pm

If the developer has the rights to move to a certain folder, then that same developer will have check out/modify rights in that same folder. There isn't a way to allow the move and not an edit there.

If things are pinned immediately after moving them to QA, that would prevent a developer from checking them out by accident in that location. You might try adding an additional step to have the developers pin the code after it moves to QA.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

scaiferw

Re: Preventing Check-out from Folder

Post by scaiferw » Tue May 14, 2013 5:29 am

I was afraid of that. Unfortunately, if I could get all the developers to pin the code, I could get them to leave things alone in the transfer folder and I wouldn't have the problem in the first place.

The way we have our repository structured, developers have their top-level folder and QA has theirs. There is a transfer folder in-between that should only be a transient stop for packages being submitted to QA.

Will have to rely on reminders and monitoring I guess.

Thanks,

Rob
Vault Standard Version 5.1.1.19215 -- Windows Server 2008 R2 -- SQL Server 2008 R2