Login Failed message ending in "(FailDBConn)"

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
DeannaBriggs

Login Failed message ending in "(FailDBConn)"

Post by DeannaBriggs » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:39 am

Hello -
After installing the Vault Professional web app on a server, then attempting to login on the webpage using the Admin username, received this message:

"Login Failed: The server could not establish a connection to the database. Please check the server's log for detailed information. (FailDBConn)"

We have Vault installed on a web server that is separate from our SQL 2008 cluster. Can you help me determine where the failure is?

Thanks!
Deanna Briggs
Systems Integration Analyst

Beth

Re: Login Failed message ending in "(FailDBConn)"

Post by Beth » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:28 am

When the Vault server and the SQL Server are on separate machines, you need to watch what login will be used for Vault connecting to the SQL Server. Details can be found in our Vault Server Install Guide: http://www.sourcegear.com/vault/documen ... index.html.

From here you will want to uninstall Vault and reinstall, but choose one of the following combinations to make the connection to SQL work:
  • 1) IIS Process: Machine
    SQL Server connection: Use SQL authentication, and log in with a SQL administrator account such as 'sa' (Vault won't use that past install)

2) IIS Process: Custom - use an Active Directory domain user
    SQL Server connection: Can use Windows or SQL authentication.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

DeannaBriggs

Post by DeannaBriggs » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:52 am

Thank you for the configurations. I'll be working on this shortly. One more question about the uninstall effort - will I also need to remove the SQL databases from the cluster before I start the reinstall process?

Thanks,
Deanna Briggs

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:01 pm

You can either keep the SQL databases and reuse them or you can remove them. Since no code has been added, it doesn't matter.

If you are using an old database that had data in it, then keep the database and the install will offer to reuse it.
Beth Kieler

DeannaBriggs

Post by DeannaBriggs » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:38 pm

Hello -
Thought I would close the loop on this topic. We finally received our licensed copy so I was able to proceed with the install. Thanks for your suggestion using Machine as the option. That worked! I did have some issues on the Web Server but those were minor IIS set up issues and was able to resolve. We now have the web server up and running and are getting the clients installed on the developer's workstations.

Thanks again for your help on this issue!

Deanna Briggs
Seattle Public Utilities IT
Systems Integration Analyst

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:56 pm

Thank you for the update. I'm happy to hear you are up and running.
Beth Kieler