VS 2010 Ultimate + Vault Professional 5.1.2 (19283) crashing

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
renatoduran

VS 2010 Ultimate + Vault Professional 5.1.2 (19283) crashing

Post by renatoduran » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:38 am

Hello guys,

I have VS 2010 Ultimate + Vault Professional 5.1.2 (19283) installed in my machine. Within the last 2 weeks, VS insists crashes when I open a project that is in Vault. If I open any project outside Vault, it works normally. I'm not able to work because VS only works for a few minutes and then crashes. The memory consumption of VS starts up and does not stop until I finish the process by task manager. This does not happen when I do some specific action (eg checkout, checkin or get latest version), but rather, occurs randomly.

Please, can you help me with this issue? Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

lbauer

Re: VS 2010 Ultimate + Vault Professional 5.1.2 (19283) cras

Post by lbauer » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:38 am

If this is a new problem, can you think of what might have changed in the last couple of weeks on your machine? Has anything been installed, updated?

Is the crash happening for any project or just certain projects?

Do you get an error message when Visual Studio crashes?

When it crashes, does Visual Studio hang, or does it close suddenly?

Some places to check for errors:

-- if you're using the Enhanced Client, look for the Visual Studio log, called called VaultVsipClient2010.txt and is in your user's temp directory.

-- The Windows event viewer on the client machine

-- the Vault server log during the time of the crash, in case something is going on server side.The Vault server log is called sgvault.log and is in %windir%\temp\sgvault on the server machine.

You can send me the logs zipped up, if you wish. Email me at support at sourcegear.com, ATTN: Linda.

Please include a link to this forum post.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

renatoduran

Post by renatoduran » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:28 am

Hello Linda,

Yes, it's a new problem. In the last couple of weeks I just did the Windows Updates in my machine... The problem also occurs eventually in some other machines...

The crash is happening for any projects controlled by Vault. Projects that are not in Vault, works fine.

No, there are no error messages. Visual Studio simply hang and I have to close it by finishing its process in Task Manager.

I'm using SourceGear Vault Professional Classic Client.

I'm just sending you the Event Viewer's log and Vault Server log by mail.

Thanks for your attention.

renatoduran

Post by renatoduran » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:05 am

Hello Linda,

I think I found the problem... We are using the DevExpress components suite in our projects. They have a tool for refactoring called CodeRush. I think this tool is the problem. I simply unloaded this add-in and VS stopped crash. I'll not reload it all day long, just to be sure. Tomorrow I'll post a new reply to inform you.

Thanks for your attention and sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:02 am

Thanks for the update. We didn't see much in the logs that was helpful, so it's good you identified a possible cause.

Let us know if this is the problem and we can do some testing here to see if we can reproduce the problem with this add-in.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

renatoduran

Post by renatoduran » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:19 am

Hello Linda,

After testing it yesterday and today, my conclusion is that CodeRush was really the problem. If I disable CodeRush, my VS works fine. If I enable, it starts to hang.

I don't know "why", but at least now I know "what" is the problem! :)

Thanks for your help and have an excellent new year!

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:33 am

Thanks for the update.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear