Find In Files Indexer Taking 24hrs+

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
ewrankin

Find In Files Indexer Taking 24hrs+

Post by ewrankin » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:00 am

We have just installed Vault Pro 6 on our development server from Vault 4.1.4 with out any issues. We turned on the Find In Files feature and the indexer has finished on one of two of the repositories (the smaller one), but it is still running for the past 24 hours on the other one. The total size of our Vault DB is 20GB. Is this normal? From the client it says that it's still indexing. I'm curious because your documentation only mentions a few moments.

Beth

Re: Find In Files Indexer Taking 24hrs+

Post by Beth » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:56 am

The amount of time it takes to index will vary depending on regular database maintenance the machine speed and what else is running. It could take a long time.

I'll get the documentation looked at.

Once the indexing is finished, you'll want to take a look at our KB article on Vault database maintenance, http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=2924, and getting the best performance you can from Vault, http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=4206.

Let's keep an eye on it and watch for any errors. You might want to check your Vault server log at %windir%\temp\sgvault\sgvault.log and the index log at %windir%\temp\sgvaultindex\vaultindexservice.txt. Are there any errors showing up?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

ewrankin

Post by ewrankin » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:23 am

Thanks for the clarification, I kind of expected that. We do perform regular DB maintenance such as Index rebuilds, stat updates, etc. I was just getting nervous since the documentation didn't reflect that in the Administrator help file.

There weren't any errors other than when the index started there was an exception for each repository that said it "Failed to retrieve the Repository's Last Index values for repository 1". Then there were entries for "Started index build for repository 1". And no errors after that. I will keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the quick reply!

ewrankin

Post by ewrankin » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:17 am

The index is still running, we are now on day 5. This can't be normal?

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:46 am

You should have a log file for the index service located at %WINDIR%\Temp\SGVaultIndex\vaultindexservice.txt. Is that still logging anything?

Do you have any errors in your Vault server log at %WINDIR%\Temp\sgvault\sgvault.log?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

ewrankin

Post by ewrankin » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:55 pm

Beth wrote:You should have a log file for the index service located at %WINDIR%\Temp\SGVaultIndex\vaultindexservice.txt. Is that still logging anything?

Do you have any errors in your Vault server log at %WINDIR%\Temp\sgvault\sgvault.log?
The VaultIndexService.txt no other than what I reported already. It hasn't had any entries.
Today's sgvault.log:

# SourceGear Vault Server
----10/3/2012 7:28:15 AM SLabuta--<sanitized>--SSL Disabled Login
----10/3/2012 7:29:31 AM SLabuta--<sanitized>--SSL Disabled System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)
at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
at System.Array.ConvertAll[TInput,TOutput](TInput[] array, Converter`2 converter)
at VaultServiceSQL.VaultSqlSystem.GetNotificationCriteria(VaultSqlConn conn, NotificationCriteriaOptions& nco) at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)
at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
at System.Array.ConvertAll[TInput,TOutput](TInput[] array, Converter`2 converter)
at VaultServiceSQL.VaultSqlSystem.GetNotificationCriteria(VaultSqlConn conn, NotificationCriteriaOptions& nco)
----10/3/2012 7:31:49 AM SLabuta--<sanitized>--SSL Disabled Login
----10/3/2012 7:41:13 AM SLabuta--<sanitized>--SSL Disabled FindInFilesByFileList returned: FailBuildingIndexStatus
----10/3/2012 8:14:53 AM erankin--<sanitized>--SSL Disabled Login
----10/3/2012 8:27:29 AM SLabuta--<sanitized>--SSL Disabled Logout

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Since I'm dealing with you an another issue, I'll assist you with this one as well.

Could you check the Windows Event View on the Vault Server machine and see if there are any indexing related errors?

Send the info to support at sourcegear.com, Attn: Linda. Please include a link to this forum post.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager