Cannot open solution in VS2010 because of client versions

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
RayvenUK

Cannot open solution in VS2010 because of client versions

Post by RayvenUK » Tue May 01, 2012 5:28 am

We have just upgraded to Vault 5.1.2
I have a C#.NET solution created in Visual Studio 2010 which we last worked on about a year and a half ago (according to the Vault History).

I have tried the following and get the same issues every time.
1: Deleting the Directory and opening it from inside Visual Studio 2010 using File->Vault Pro Source Control->Open From Vault Professional
2: Issuing a "Get Latest (recursive)" from inside Vault and then trying to open the solution file.
3: Issuing a "Check Out (recursive)" from inside Vault and then trying to open the solution file.
4: Switching to the Classic Client in Tools-Options->Source Control-Plug-in Selection (at which point the menus change to File-Source Control-Open From Source Control)

Each time I get the error:
Failed to register project with SourceGear Vault Pro Visual Studio Enhanced Client
Project $/... is bound using a different SCC provider: MSSCCI:SourceGear Fortress VS2003 Compatible Client

This is followed by:
The project '...' is under source control. An error occurred registering this project with sopurce control. It is recommended that you do not make any changes to this project.

One or more projects in this solution were not loaded correctly. Please see the Output Window for details.

The Output Window reads "error: The application for the project is not installed."

No projects or files for the solution are loaded, so I cannot unbind and rebind anything.

I have switched the Tools->Options back to Classic Client and tried again; nothing is loaded, but the errors still occur and when I check, the option has reverted back to the Enhanced Client.

There is no option to select the VS2003 Compatible Client listed at all, just Classic Client.

I have even followed one of the forum postings, checked out all the files from the Vault Client and changed the .csproj files so the lines change from:

<SccProjectName>%24/StatementImport</SccProjectName>
<SccLocalPath>..</SccLocalPath>
<SccAuxPath>
</SccAuxPath>
<SccProvider>MSSCCI:SourceGear Fortress VS2003 Compatible Client</SccProvider>

to

<SccProjectName>SAK</SccProjectName>
<SccLocalPath>SAK</SccLocalPath>
<SccAuxPath>SAK</SccAuxPath>
<SccProvider>SAK</SccProvider>

but this results in the errors changing to (whether opened with the Studio settings set to Enhanced or Classic client settings).

Failed to register project with SourceGear Vault Pro Visual Studio Enhanced Client
Project is bound to the Classic Client or another MSSCCI provider.

As such, at the moment, I cannot open some solutions that are two or more generations of the client old. Solutions which were opening with the previous client (prior to the upgrade) whether using the Enhanced or Classic client, are opening with no problems.

Can anyone help?

Beth

Re: Cannot open solution in VS2010 because of client version

Post by Beth » Tue May 01, 2012 1:30 pm

Are any of the projects that are in any of the solutions you are opening shared among multiple solutions? If so, let me know first.

If no projects are shared, let's try manually removing the old bindings.

1) Close both Visual Studio and Vault.

2) Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the location of the .sln file.

3) Open the .sln file in notepad.

4) In the .sln file, you may have a section that looks similar to:
  • GlobalSection(SourceCodeControl) = preSolution
    • SccNumberOfProjects =
      SccLocalPath0 = .
      CanCheckoutShared = false
      SccProjectUniqueName1 =
      SccLocalPath1 = .
      CanCheckoutShared = false
    EndGlobalSection
Deleted that GlobalSection. Be careful to not delete other global sections. Save and close the .sln file.

5) Find the project files (.csproj, .vbproj, etc.) for each project. Open each in notepad and remove the lines relating to SCC binding. Those would look similar to:
  • <SccProjectName> </SccProjectName>
    <SccLocalPath> </SccLocalPath>
    <SccAuxPath> </SccAuxPath>
    <SccProvider> </SccProvider>
Save the project files

5) In the same location as the .sln file and the project files, you will see some files that end in .vssscc and a file called MSSCCPRJ.SCC. Delete those files.

6) Now open the entire solution in Visual Studio using either the Open function or by double-clicking the solution file in Windows Explorer. All the projects should load now.

7) Go to Tools - Options - Source Control - Plugin Selection, select the provider you want to bind to and click OK.

8_) Go to File - Vault Source Control - Change Bindings or File - Source Control - Change Source Control (depends on the provider you chose in 7).

9) Depending on your layout, you'll be able to either bind all the lines of the solution at once, or you may need to bind one line at a time. Make a selection and click Bind. When you see a 'valid' next to each line, you'll know you have a valid binding. Click OK when all lines are valid.

10) When finished, check in the binding changes.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

gos56280`

Post by gos56280` » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:39 am

We are having the same problem upgrading from std 4.1.4 to pro 6.0
Get error:
"Failed to register project with SourceGear Vault Pro Visual Studio Enhanced Client"
"Project Sql is bound using a different SCC provider: Sourcegear Vault Cisual Studio 2005 Client:{hex number here}"
We have projects that are referenced in multiple solutions, so I want to be sure to do the right thing here about the bindings since that was a caveat/condition of the last post.
We are all using VS2008 and have been for years; no change there, although some of the project may have been orinigally created in VS2005. Also, all solutions were in VS2008 and same for the projects; we do not manage any code outside these parameters.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:29 pm

gos56280:
First open Visual Studio without opening a project and see if you can select the Vault Enhanced Client in the VS Tools Options. If you can select it and it stays, then try rebinding.

To rebind:
1) Go to File - Vault Source Control - Change Bindings.
2) Select all lines in the window that opens and click Unbind.
3) Click OK.
4) Go to File - Vault Source Control - Change Vault Bindings.
5) Select one line that is not the .sln and click Bind.
6) When the binding window opens, select the folder that element resides in and click OK.
7) Check that the status for that line is Valid.
8_) Repeat on each line. When all are Valid, click OK.
9) Check in the changes to the .sln and project files.

Then let me know your results.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support