Unable to Display New Database at Login

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

mark64

Unable to Display New Database at Login

Post by mark64 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:22 pm

Today, I added a third database to the list of available Vss databases on our SOS 3.5.3 server. I used Network Neighboorhood to connect to the system where the database is, as described in post by the Sourcegear Tech Support Team.

Once I added the database link, I stoped and started the SOS service. I then opened the client and when the login box came up, the new database was not listed. I tried bouncing the service again but no luck.

I think I checked everything but I must be missing something. The other databases I have in the list on a different machine come up ok. The user I am connecting as has admin rights so that should not be an issue.

I can connect to the database when I map to the drive and open it using the MS Vss explorer.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:22 pm

Take a look at this KB article, especially the instructions in the second bullet point. Your service is starting because you do have a couple databases correctly configured.

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=130
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

mark64

Post by mark64 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:17 pm

Hi Linda,
Thanks for the information. I have already configured the service as a Domain account. It is running for example in the Engineering Domain. I can see the other database but isit possible that the database is not showing up in SOS becasue maybe it is not in the Engineering domain?

By the way, no physical errors show up, just that the Database does not appear in the dropdown list.

SOS server does not like something. The MS Vss explorer can see it but the SOS Client just does not pick it up from the server. Does the server store the list of databases in the Registry or is it encrypted in a config file?

Mark

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:58 pm

The list of databases is stored in the sossvr.prp file. The usual reason a database does not appear in the client log in is because the SOS Server cannot access the database.

The SOS server service account needs to be able to access the machine/drive/directory where the database resides. Even though you're using a domain account, that account may not have access to the database in question.

You can check your log.txt file to see what it shows about your database. You might see something like:

SourceSafe Initialization file(s) located at:
3/10/2004 11:35:36 AM - C:\VSS Databases\_test\srcsafe.ini
This means SOS can access the database.

If SOS can't access the database, you might see something like:

Invalid SourceSafe Initialization file
3/8/2004 2:01:41 PM - Invalid or no databases to support.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

dtarullo

unable to see new database at login

Post by dtarullo » Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:31 pm

I had the same problem and checked to see if the account I was using for the service had rights to the files, which it did. The problem I had was that I was going through the share instead of directly to the database (which was located on the same server).

The share did not allow the service to see the database even though NTFS did. You have to remember the fact that it is the most restrictive when going through a share and with NTFS properties. If it is on the same server then use the exact path and not the UNC.