Huge Issues attempting to eval SOS 4.02

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Joe

Huge Issues attempting to eval SOS 4.02

Post by Joe » Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:55 pm

Hi folks,

I've been attempting to evaluate SOS 4.02, but have basically not had any luck what-so-ever. My hope was that it would 'just work', since we need a config up ASAP so we can get 7 guys up and working remotely properly.

Here is the setup:

Client A
---------------
- VS.NET 2003
- .NET 1.1
- VSS 6.0d

Client B
---------------
- VS.NET 2003
- VSS 6.0d
- .NET 1.1
- SOS 4.02 Pro (but not using encryption in test)

Server
---------------
- Windows 2003
- VSS 6.0d
- .NET 1.1
- SOS 4.02 Pro

Here is what I'm trying to do:

First, I've successfully have the client and the server able to login and I can browse projects, etc. I was even able to have it successfully run 'Open from SourceControl'. But it goes down hill from there.

First off, I'm testing with a single user (same account) on 2 computers. One installation is running VSS 6.0d and the other has both VSS 6.0d and SOS 4.02 Pro. This is a real-world situation for us since folks while at home would be using SOS, but while at work they may use VSS (to minimize the need to switch over, at least for now).

When I was able to successfully Open from Source Control on SOS, I attempted to add a project. As soon as I attempted to check it in (ie this has nothing to do with the second client installation using VSS), I get errors saying 'An error occurred when you attempted to acess the source control system. Check installation.' After a few attempts to check in pieces, (instead of the entire solution), it eventually took out VS.NET all togehter (VS.NET has crashed about 6 or 7 times in the last 2 hours from adding SOS, and I didn't do anything odd ... and I've only had VS.NET 2003 crash on me 2 times in the last year under heavy usage).

After the above failed, I wiped everything local and tried the reverse, adding a project on the VSS side and pulling it over on SOS. Obviously adding a project in on VSS was fine. But when I did a 'Open from Source Control' in VS.NET using SOS I also get the 'An error occurred' message followed by a message saying 'The project XXXX appears to be under source control, but no source control provider is install on this computer. Source control integration will be disable for this project'.... BUT it does this for EVERY project, not just the new one.

I can assure you that the solution and projects were created using 6.0d ... but I did the steps here....

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=1149

.... and I could the project up again it seems, but as soon as you adding project from either side things just get hosed.

corey

Post by corey » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:31 pm

It sounds like you must still have VSS specific info in your solution and project files. See the following article and the reply I posted to it. It sounds very similiar to your issue.

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=1863
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC

Still having problems ...

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:04 pm

Hi Corey,

None of the problem files are as you describe...every single project file already say:

SccProvider = "SAK"

Any other thoughts?

Joe

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:21 pm

Hi Corey, I wasn't logged in when I wrote that last message. But anyhow, I checked both machines and everything looked fine on the other machine as well.

Please say you have other thoughts. We would desparately want this to work and would pick up 7 licenses right away if it did.

Thanks

Joe

corey

Post by corey » Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:50 pm

Let's first try doing a simple test first and see if that's successful for you and then go from there. Try this:

1. Start VS.NET with SOS as your source control provider and create a new C# Win app solution to be used as a test solution. Then do an "Add solution to source control".

2. Then go to your other machine and start VS.NET with VSS as your source control provider. Do an "open from source control" on the solution you just added using SOS.

If that succeeds, then try the reverse (create and add another test solution using VSS and then on the other machine try to open it with integrated SOS)

If you can successfully do both of those tests, then you have the basic setup working and we can proceed from there.
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC