Cannot use Mandrake Client with 3.5.1 Server

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

mdreeling

Cannot use Mandrake Client with 3.5.1 Server

Post by mdreeling » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:40 am

Hi,
When i try to conect to our 3.5.1 Server running on NT4 from Mandrake. The following errors appear in the server log file. I am using the unix GUI client 3.5 standard edition.

Server Errors
---------------
"y386" connected to database: G:\vss\srcsafe.ini
File "G:\vss\data\l\lwwhaaaa.b not" found

Client Errors
---------------
Operation Failed

There is a G:\vss\data\l\lwwhaaaa.a file on the server , but no ".b"

Can anyone tell me what the problem is here?

Thanks
Mike

corey

Post by corey » Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:55 am

Most likely, you have some database corruption. Do you run SourceSafe Analyze on your database regularly? If not, try running Analyze and see what it reports.
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC

mdreeling

Post by mdreeling » Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:15 am

Hi Cory,
I think our database is fine as all of our windows based clients can connect. Any other ideas?
Thanks
Michael

sterwill

Post by sterwill » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:35 am

You can try deleting your client-side SOS cache files to cause the client to fetch the full structure from the server on the next login. These files are stored at: ~/.sos/servers/<yourservernamehere>/*.sos
Shaw Terwilliger
SourceGear LLC
`echo sterwill5sourcegear6com | tr 56 @.`

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:57 am

Thanks for the tip Shawn! unfortunately i had tried that before with no luck. still the same old message as above.

So far i have tried:

3.5.1 CLC client : segmentation fault
3.5.1 GUI client : operation failed
4.0.2 CLC client : operation failed
4.0.2 GUI client : operation failed

i couldn't build the source either, it had errors. I don't know where to turn now. The windows clients can connect fine. :-/
Michael

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:58 pm

Even though other users can connect, you still might have database corruption. They may not be doing the same exact set of operations on the same set of files as you. Plus you're a different user.

First, check to see if there's a configuration problem -- verify that the option in the SourceSafe Explorer called "Remove local copy after Add or Check" (In Under Tools->Options->Local Files) is not enabled in your VSS installation on the SOS Server machine. If this option is enabled, SourceOffSite cannot function properly. Make sure this is disabled for your particular user profile (you can check this by logging in to the VSS client on the SOS Server machine with your username and password.)

If that appears to be correct, then database corruption is suspect again. An error message such as "G:\vss\data\l\lwwhaaaa.b not found" usually points to a problem with a VSS data file that the VSS Automation component is not able to deal with. The SourceOffSite Server uses the VSS Automation component to communicate with the VSS database. If there are any inconsistencies in your database, it may prevent SOS from working properly.

VSS stores data as file pairs, the data file .a and the log file, .b. One of your files seems to have the ".b" part missing.

The information at the following link should help you resolve the problem:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb ... 0/9/14.asp
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager