Login locally and remotely

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Marty Burns

Login locally and remotely

Post by Marty Burns » Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:32 pm

I am using SOS both on a LAN where the server is, and, remotely from my laptop. For performance reasons, my login is local on my desktop -- 192.168.1.x, user. I am using encrypted port in all cases.

How can I create a key for 'user' that works with a remote IP address, and a key for 'user' that works with a local IP address?

TIA

corey

Post by corey » Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:30 pm

Import key files (*.iky) are named according to the user's name (for delivery purposes), but once the SOS Client has imported the *.iky, the *.key file is named according to the Server name.

So you should be able to create two different keys in the Server Manager according to the different IP addresses you use, and simply import them one at a time into the Client.
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:35 am

Thanks for the response, Corey. I am still missing something. The server manager only lets me have one key associated with a given user name. How can I then have two keys associated with the same name and different IP addresses.

When I try to create a second key, service manager says key already exists for user. If I delete the key first and generate the new one, the original installation (desktop) no longer works.

Marty

corey

Post by corey » Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:08 pm

Sorry, you're correct. I was only looking at it from the client's perspective. Here's what I should have told you to do instead. Its a bit more complicated, but it should work:

Suppose you want to create keys for reaching an SOS Server using two different server names, A and B.

1. Create a key using the SOS Server Manager. Use server name A.

2. This will create an Import Key File named <<username>>.iky and store a server key in your server's sossvr.kys file.

3. Start the SOS Client and select the menu "Import Key File". Import the <<username>>.iky file you just created above. This will create a new key file named A.key which will allow your client to securely connect using server name A.

4. Now edit the <<username>>.iky file with a text editor and change the "Server: A" field to be "Server: B".

5. Now select the menu "Import Key File" again and import the <<username>>.iky file you just modified. This will create a new key file named B.key which will allow your client to securely connect using server name B.
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC