Linux server

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Simoyd

Linux server

Post by Simoyd » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:52 pm

are there any plans for a linux server?
it would be way more efficient if i could stick all this stuff on my linux server, cause anyone whe runs windows as a server machine is just crazy. Its kind of a pain having to leave a windows box on all the time just to run this server.... If the client can be converted, cant you just compile the code on a linux box and copy the database from the windows box to the linux box?

sterwill

Post by sterwill » Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:36 am

The Windows client is written in C++, using MFC. The Unix client was a port of that code base to Gtk; both are maintained separately. The server was originally written in Java, and required the VSS automation component to be available on the server machine. We've ported the server to C# for 4.0, which may run on Unix with mono with a few tweaks, but the VSS automation component would also need to be run on the server. That's part of VSS, and we don't have any code for that.

It may be possible to run the SOS server on Intel servers running Unix, assuming mono and Wine were installed, but as far as I know, no one has ever tried this.
Shaw Terwilliger
SourceGear LLC
`echo sterwill5sourcegear6com | tr 56 @.`

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:26 pm

ok thx for the info :)

ftoledo

licence?

Post by ftoledo » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:38 pm

will the server released over GPL licence?

Software Libre!

sterwill wrote:The Windows client is written in C++, using MFC. The Unix client was a port of that code base to Gtk; both are maintained separately. The server was originally written in Java, and required the VSS automation component to be available on the server machine. We've ported the server to C# for 4.0, which may run on Unix with mono with a few tweaks, but the VSS automation component would also need to be run on the server. That's part of VSS, and we don't have any code for that.

It may be possible to run the SOS server on Intel servers running Unix, assuming mono and Wine were installed, but as far as I know, no one has ever tried this.

ericsink

Re: licence?

Post by ericsink » Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:12 pm

ftoledo wrote:will the server released over GPL licence?
No.
Eric Sink
Software Craftsman
SourceGear