Does SOS 4.0.2 GUI Client have command line params?

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

bmaxwell

Does SOS 4.0.2 GUI Client have command line params?

Post by bmaxwell » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:54 am

Does the SOS GUI Client program accept any command line parameters? I am *not* talking about the command-line client soscmd.exe. If it does take parameters, I sure can't find that info in any of the documentation or support messages.

It would be very useful to have at least a couple of command line parameters to the GUI program that:

1) Specifies which SrcSafe database to open.
2) Specifies which project to open within that database.

Now that the SOS 4.x GUI client can automatically log into the SrcSafe database, I think it makes sense to have this feature, if not already implemented.

And, YES, I already know how to use the command-line client, soscmd.exe, and I do NOT want to use it to do the above stuff. I already use soscmd.exe to do more sophisticated things, and that's NOT what I'm talking about in this message.

Thanks,

Bill Maxwell

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:20 pm

No, there are no command line parameters for the GUI client.

I can log this as a feature request for a future release. I'd be interested to know how this feature would be helpful to you.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:09 pm

Hi Linda,

>I can log this as a feature request for a future release. I'd be
>interested to know how this feature would be helpful to you.

We use 9 different SourceSafe databases in my company. Throughout the day, I constantly have to use SourceOffsite to open several of these databases. Right now, each time, I have to log into the database when I open or switch to a different database.

Even with SourceOffsite's new ability to automatically log into the last opened database, if I want to open a different database, I still have to go through the menus and do a Connect To Server, then use the pull-down listbox to select the different database. This gets to be a real pain. If I'm only dealing with 2 or 3 databases on a particular day, I sometimes leave 2 or 3 instances of SourceOffsite open so I don't have to keep switching back and forth, but then, whichever instance I close last is the one that gets automatically opened the next time.

The moral of the story is that right now, I end up doing a lot of mousing around to get any particular database opened.

If you added just one command line option that allowed me to specify which SourceSafe database to open, then I could simply create Windows shortcuts -- one for each database I deal with -- and specify the appropriate command line parameter inside that shortcut. Then, I could directly open that database by double-clicking on the shortcut. If this is done right, I wouldn't even have to log in -- by simply double-clicking on a shortcut, BANG, I automatically open that database.

Extending this one step further, if you provide a second command line paramter to specify the project to open within the database, then I could have more shortcuts that take me directly to different projects within any given database.

If this isn't clear, let me know, and I'll try to explain further.

Thanks,

Bill Maxwell

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:48 pm

It's clear. Sounds like a useful feature for someone using SOS a lot.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Claude

+1

Post by Claude » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:11 am

would be a nice feature