Client can't import encryption key

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

anopres

Client can't import encryption key

Post by anopres » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:27 pm

I just installed a copy of sos Classic 3.5.3 that I downloaded from the website. we've been running the server for years fine. This client however, doesn't want to import an encryption key. If you go through the process, it says it is successful, but the key file for the server is never created. I think this is a client only problem. Any help greatly appreciated.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:31 pm

Check in the client under Help->About. You may have downloaded the Standard Edition which does not support cryptograpy.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

anopres

Post by anopres » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:33 am

The client I installed is called sos_client_professional.exe. The installer says SourceOffSite Classic 3.5.3 With Enryption.

Under the Help | About screen, there is no mention of either professional or standard version. It only says "About SourceOffSite Classic, Version 3.5.3, Copyright 1998-2002 SourceGear Corporation, All Rights Reserved, http://www.sourcegear.com".

I think the standard version actually prevents the menu item for installing a key from working.

Is it possible that there is a rights issue on the folder that is preventing the creation of the key file?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:19 am

It looks like you have the encrypted version.

Let's try this:

Browse to the directory where the SOS Client is installed (sos.exe). Take a screenshot of the contents of the client directory. Now, delete any .key file in the directory. Then open the SOS Client from this directory and re-import the .iky file. Take another screenshot of the directory after the import. Send the two screenshots to: linda@sourcegear.com.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

anopres

Key import

Post by anopres » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:52 am

:oops: Thanks Linda,

You gave me just enough of a hint to make me realize I had messed up my keys. I didn't realize that all of the .key files in the client were imported keys. One of my keys had an unaddressable name and was the one that kept getting imported. It's working fine now.

Thanks.