Poor performance when working directory on Virtual PC share

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

greg_bradley

Poor performance when working directory on Virtual PC share

Post by greg_bradley » Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:19 pm

I have version 4.0.2 of the SourceOffSite client, the server is hosted remotely and my local machine is Windows XP SP2 running Virtual PC 2004 hosting Windows Server 2003. I have a shared folder on Windows Server 2003 that I map to on my host machine. This share is the working folder for my project that is in SourceOffSite.

The problem is that every time the SourceOffSite window gets focus it seems to do some kind of status checking and during this process the application UI is locked up. If the current folder has a lot of files in it it takes a long time before it comes back. And while this is happening CPU usage on the host is at 100% and the "sos.exe" process and the "Virtual PC.exe" process are fighting for as much of it as possible.

Any idea how I can get this to work better? Any known problems using Virtual PC and SourceOffSite like this? No other programs that I use (eg. VisualStudio) have problems accessing this shared folder. Can the automatic checking that SourceOffSite does every time it receives focus be disabled?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:08 pm

It sounds like every time the SOS client regains focus it may be refreshing the file list. This isn't something that can be turned off.

We don't have any experience with SOS and Virtual PC, so unfortunately, we can't be of much help. Maybe other SOS users can post if they've used this combination.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager