Linux client access slow compared to windows

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Les

Linux client access slow compared to windows

Post by Les » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:35 pm

I have Redhat Linux and windows 2k clients accessing the same VSS database via the same SOS server (3.5). The Linux Clients are 2 to 3 time slower accessing the database compared to the windows client. Is there anything I can do to speed up the Linux client access?

Les :(

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:09 pm

When you say "accessing the database," what specific operations are slow? Logging in? File list retrieval? Get latest?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:19 pm

File list retrieval?

Les

sterwill

Post by sterwill » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:48 am

The Unix client (built with GTK) may be slower than the windows client when detecting changes to local files and redrawing its file list. This is because of some inefficiencies in our update code which we haven't optimized yet. I don't know of a case where it would be slower than the Windows client retrieving the file list from the server. That operation depends almost entirely on server/network speed.
Shaw Terwilliger
SourceGear LLC
`echo sterwill5sourcegear6com | tr 56 @.`

Les

Post by Les » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:19 pm

Below are the comments from the user that is directly affected. Mybe this may give both of us a better understanding of what's going on:

Generally, it is when getting long lists of files from the server. It's almost as if it was getting each filename one at a time, instead of building a list on the server and sending that over in one swoop. For example, over SOS, pulling down the list of files in the $/AVWorks/Avocent/St. Croix/AVR NMM/src/com/avocent/avworks/nmm/avr just took 2:35, where doing the same thing (essentially entering the directory in the client tree) in windows is essentially instantaneous.

Actually getting the files (instead of just the filenames and associated data) is of course, far worse. For example, I just pulled down a copy of the $/AVWorks/Fujitsu Siemens/Kiwi project, which consists of 600 files and 17 MB. The elapsed time to pull the project down was 13:25. The same project takes 45s to pull down to the W2K workstation.

Les