SOS 4.0.2 integration with Visual Studio.NET

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Jon Fairchild

SOS 4.0.2 integration with Visual Studio.NET

Post by Jon Fairchild » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:47 am

We are using VS.NET 1.1. Recently we upgraded SOS to 4.0.2, expecting smoother integration with VS.NET. So far I have been unable to use SOS to manage a solution within VS. I have SOS as the default provider. I have tried getting all code from the SOS GUI and then use Change Source Control in VS, and I have tried just using Open From Source Control in VS to get the code from SOS. Both lead to "unspecified error" at some point.

Can someone give me a set of steps that will allow integration of SOS 4.0.2 with VS.NET 1.1, and maybe some troubleshooting tips?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:34 am

If the solution was previously added to source code control with VSS, then this KB article should be helpful:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=1149
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

niketam

visual studio 2003 at war with SOS

Post by niketam » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:53 am

:( Still unable to integrate VS 2003 and SOS,it just hangs when the solution is opened ,both VS and SOS hang. I dont know what to do to make the solution integrate with sos.PLEASE HELP. :idea:

corey

Post by corey » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:27 pm

Is your post related to Jon Fairchild's? Did you upgrade from SOS 3.5 to SOS 4.0 and then the trouble began?

We'll also need a lot more info, such as:

Is this one project that's causing a problem or aren't you able to use integration at all?

What types of projects are you working with? Web projects?

Are these new projects or ones that already exist in Source Control?
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC

Jon Fairchild

Post by Jon Fairchild » Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:47 pm

I have now successfully integrated SOS 4.0.2 and VS.NET. The problem was that one of my esteemed colleagues added a project to the solution containing files on a drive that existed only is his machine. So basically the solution was hosed, causing source control binding functionality to throw errors. After removing the renegade project, I was able to bind.

The integrated functionality of SOS and VS.NET is very nice once you have successfully binding. The disadvantage of binding is that opening your solution in VS.NET will take much longer.

My steps for successful binding are a bit goofy. But they work, so here they are in case you are interested:

1. Open SOS. Go to Tools -> Options -> General
2. Check "Make SOS your default SCC provider."
3. Optional: Go to External Programs tab. Application for comparing files, comparing directories, merging files: sgdm.exe (installed with SOS). OK.
5. Open VS.NET and your solution. Go to File -> SourceControl -> Change Source Control
6. Bind solution to the appropriate source control project of solution. OK. Accept check-out of solution.
7. Save All and close VS.NET.
8. In SOS, undo check-out of solution.
9. If the solution includes a web project, go to c:\inetpub\wwwroot\<project> and delete contents.
10. Open VS.NET and your solution. Go get coffee. Come back and voila!
11. Optional: Go to Tools -> Options -> Source Control -> SCC Provider -> Advanced -> External Programs. Application for comparing and merging files: sgdm.exe.