SOS 3.5.2 "Unable to create working directory"

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

rpfeet

SOS 3.5.2 "Unable to create working directory"

Post by rpfeet » Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:27 pm

Hello,
We are using SOS 3.5.2 with VSS 6.0 on Windows Server 2003. When doing a Show History and trying to get a Diff of two versions of a specific file the message "unable to create working directory" pops up. This does not happen with every file, but always occurs on specific files and versions. We have SOS verbose logging enabled and the message in the log is "access to the file \\xx-xxx\ess\data denied". The same procedure works correctly when using the VSS Explorer. Can anyone help solve this?

Thank you,
rpfeet

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:02 pm

I don't think we've had other reports of this error message.

You might examine the security rights of the \\xx-xxx\ess\data directory and verify that the account used by the SOS Server Service has read/write access.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:01 am

Hi Linda,

SOS is using a local system account to logon as a service, and the Everyone group has Modify NTFS permissions to the folder and Change permissions to the share. I just specifically added "system" to the NTFS and Share permissions and retried the operation, but it still failed with the same pop up message and log entry.

Thank you,
rpfeet

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:53 pm

Could you reproduce this error again and then send me a copy of the SOS log.txt file in the SOS Server directory?

Email to linda@sourcegear.com
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

rpfeet

Post by rpfeet » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:48 am

Hi Linda,

Yes I can reproduce it and will email you the SOSlog.txt file.

Thank you,
rpfeet

rpfeet

Post by rpfeet » Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:58 pm

Hi Linda,

I duplicated the problem and sent the log last week. Have you had a chance to look at it?

Thank you,
rpfeet

corey

Post by corey » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:59 am

Do you only get the error when performing a diff? If you simply try to do a Get of either historical version, does that succeed or fail with the same error message?
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC

rpfeet

Post by rpfeet » Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:58 pm

Hi Corey,
I will try doing a Get of either historical version this weekend and post the results.

rpfeet.

rpfeet

Post by rpfeet » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:38 pm

Hi Corey,
When I do a Get of either of either historical version the first file version succeeds and it is placed in my working directory. The second version fails and these two entries are written to the log.txt file: "Begin Get File Operation: xxx.mx" and "Access to file "\\xxx\ess\data" denied".

rpfeet

corey

Post by corey » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:40 pm

Strange. So you bring up the history dialog for a file, do a Get on version X, which succeeds, and then on version Y, and it always fails? But if you do the Get on version Y first, then it would succeed?
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC

rpfeet

Post by rpfeet » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:33 pm

This is what I'm doing. Please let me know if it is incorrect.

1) Right click a specific file and select Show History
2) Highlight file version X and click on Get (Receiving file...it succeeds)
3) Highlight file version Y and click on Get (operation failed)

Changing the X, Y order didn't make a difference...Y always fails and X always succeeds.

rpfeet

corey

Post by corey » Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:43 am

Okay. That makes more sense. Previously, I thought you were saying that order made a difference.

Is it just one version in history that you cannot retrieve or is it one version and all older versions?

It could be some VSS database corruption. Have you run Analyze on your database recently?
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC

rpfeet

Post by rpfeet » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:38 pm

It seems only one version that is having the problem. The same procedures work when we use the SourceSafe client and every four to five weeks we run analyze. We use the fix switch everytime but the compress switch is only used about once every four months or whenever the developer wants it run that way.

corey

Post by corey » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:11 am

If there's just one version in history that you cannot retrieve, could you possibly archive off just that one folder and send it to us for debugging? It appears that the SourceSafe automation component is unable to retrieve that version, but we may be able to determine why by looking at it in a debug session.
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC

rpfeet

Post by rpfeet » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:11 am

Hi Corey,
I'm trying to find out if it is possible to do what you have asked.