RoboHelp X5 doesn't work (SOS 4.0.2)

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Gerby

RoboHelp X5 doesn't work (SOS 4.0.2)

Post by Gerby » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:04 am

Hi!

I'm evaluating the new version of Macromedia's RoboHelp X5 which also supports the Microsoft Visual SourceSafe (here version 6.0c with SP6) interface. Our aim is to integrate my work from a remote office in the existing SourceSafe database. When using RoboHelp with MS SourceSafe directly (inhouse connection) everything works fine. With SOS 4.0.2 a project cannot be added to the remote database.

What's happening in detail:
- Pressing toolbar button Add to version control -> Select Version Control Provider dialog pops up
- Choosing "SourceOffSite" entry -> Connect To Server dialog pops up
- Entering server address and port (8080) and pressing Connect -> waiting 15 to 20 seconds until SourceOffSite - Add/Connect to SourceSafe Project dialog pops up (is the waiting time normal for a LAN connection?)
- Selecting destination folder in database tree and pressing OK -> after another 15 to 20 seconds the dialog disappears but nothing has happened. Normally (e.g. under Microsoft SourceSafe version control provider) RoboHelp would now show the status of adding all the project files to the database.

Of course RoboHelp has it's own version control provider RoboSource for use over TCP (incompatible to Microsoft's SourceSafe) but my company doesn't want to have another database.

I've already looked and searched for this problem in this and other discussion groups and also got the latest updates from Macromedia for RoboHelp and RoboSource. But no chance. :(

Any idea? Could you tell me, if it's a problem of RoboHelp or of SOS?

Thanks for any hints in advance.

Mark

Gerby

RoboHelp X5 doesn't work (SOS 4.0.2) - Addendum

Post by Gerby » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:14 am

I've forgotten to mention, that connecting to and maintaining the database with the SOS client is possible. (Here the connection to the database also takes 15 to 20 seconds.)

Mark

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:32 pm

SourceOffSite does not support integration with RoboHelp X5. Although the integration .dll is the same across various IDE's, the integration is implemented differently in each.

We have tested SOS with Visual Studio and VS.NET, but not other IDE's.

You could use the SOS GUI Client for source code control functions and do your development in RoboHelp X5.

The delay in the client log-in could be due to the server trying to do a reverse DNS lookup. We plan to make this optional in a future release of SOS.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Gerby

Post by Gerby » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:46 am

Thanks for the reply, Linda.

Are there any plans to support further IDEs (especially RoboHelp 8)) in future versions of SourceOffSite?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:45 am

Not in the near future. I'll never say never, but it's not something we've had requests for. Being a small company, it needs to make business sense for us if we add a new integration.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager